James P Ferguson, witness to the assassination
12-10-2012, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 01:35 PM by Christine.)
James P Ferguson, witness to the assassination
Just found a letter to Stanton, from Frederick Aiken, with the request of James P Ferguson about his desiring to get reward money. Is the letter general knowledge or would you like me to transcribe and post it?

Ferguson claims he was in the theater, recognized Booth, immediately went to the police station to report, ran back to the Peterson house, gave the "first positive information as to the identity of the party who had committed the crime"; also gave info at the trial of the conspirators May 15, 1865, lost his business, has faced death threats, and deserves some of the reward fund.

Interesting that Aiken represented him in trying to get these funds. The letter is definitely written in Aiken's hand.

Did he ever get any of the reward?

Edit: I just found the letter in The Lincoln Assassination, The Rewards Files. Where can I find who got reward money?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
RE: James P Ferguson, witness to the assassination
I'd like it if you could transcribe and post (if it's not to much trouble)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
I just checked the book with the early testimony taken by James Tanner, and Ferguson's account is in there, and he does identify JWB by name.
12-10-2012, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 02:50 PM by Christine.)
Gene, here is the letter already transcribed. Aiken wrote some letters in this way with numbered points; maybe a lawyer thing. It just seemed a bit unusual that he would represent Mrs. Surratt, and then someone who testified against Booth. Maybe since Ferguson owned a bar he and Aiken were friends. Oh, wait, but Freddie spoke out in favor of temperance!

I also thought the references to death threats were interesting. From confederate sympathizers who didn't want Booth identified?

Does anyone know if any of the defense attorneys ever got them from Union supporters?

http://books.google.com/books?id=gfgXgy6...on&f=false
12-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I have to agree with you, Herb; and I also think that Christine should publish everything some day under a title like "The Forgotten Lawyer." If we could just find a photo of him, I would be such a happy camper.
12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Nice work Christine!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Christine,

In the documents regarding the reward money in my files, I don't see the name of James Ferguson mentioned. So many people put in for a share of the money, but where Booth and Herold were concerned, only those on the patrol to Garrett's Farm, and others in the military or law enforcement, were deemed entitled to the $75,000 offered by the War Department. I've attached the House Report that listed those the Committee on Claims felt were eligible for the reward money. Hope this helps.

Best
Rob

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Rewards House Report 99.pdf (Size: 1.14 MB / Downloads: 0)

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Thank you, Christine. That was interesting. Ferguson's account was probably the most detailed of anyone in the theater that night. He recognized Booth as he walked through the dress circle, says he saw the muzzle flash, detailed the flag tear and was the only one to report Booth said "I have done it".

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-11-2012, 06:58 AM
An awful lot of people recognized JWB, so while Ferguson did give the most detailed account, numerous others also provided strong positive identification.

The Reward was established for the capture of the conspirators and not for the identification. Since JWB was already identified before the reward offer was issued, Ferguson probably would not have been a party to any share of the reward.

Rich and I were talkinf about Ferguson earlier. Wasn't he with a "ladyfriend", not his wife?
12-11-2012, 08:06 AM
A very young girl, if I remember correctly.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Heaven forbid.
12-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh boy, that could have been very problematic to say the least.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
In the trial testimony James P. Ferguson states that in the box was a "gentleman in citizen clothes I did not know." Here he is referring to Rathbone.
In the Lincoln Assassination Encyclopedia by Steers, he says according to William J. Ferguson "Major Henry Rathbone was dressed in civilian clothes, not his military uniform..."
Unless James was accompanied by his brother or father could Steers be mistaken with this statement?
12-11-2012, 02:38 PM
William Ferguson was the actor who also claimed he witnessed the shot. I believe he was standing in the wings.

12-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Is that testimony in The Evidence?