Boston Globe
12-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Boston Globe
I've bought a month's access to the Boston Globe so I can download Ida Tarbell's In The Footsteps of the Lincolns articles. So, if anyone knows of something they want looked up between now and January 8, just let me know and I'll be happy to do so and download anything.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2012, 01:59 AM
RE: Boston Globe
(12-08-2012 11:56 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  I've bought a month's access to the Boston Globe

Rob, now's your chance to become totally immersed in the Lizzie Borden murders. As you will recall, she was unkind to her parents and the Globe had a tremendous amount of coverage of that situation.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
12-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Is there an editorial, etc. regarding the reaction in Boston when Babe Ruth was sold to the Yankees?
12-09-2012, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 10:20 AM by JMadonna.)
July 1864 - Was JWB or Edward performing in Boston?
12-09-2012, 11:23 AM
(12-09-2012 05:42 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Is there an editorial, etc. regarding the reaction in Boston when Babe Ruth was sold to the Yankees?

Ouch Roger!, Yes, It WAS known here as "The Curse of the Bambino". Kidding aside, if anyone is researching a specific topic in regards to Boston and the "Booth's" I'm a 5 minute walk to the Boston Public Library, and a 10 minute walk to the Mass. Historical Society if you need something copied, etc...

Best,
12-09-2012, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 12:07 PM by Rob Wick.)
(12-09-2012 01:59 AM)Jim Page Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 11:56 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  I've bought a month's access to the Boston Globe

Rob, now's your chance to become totally immersed in the Lizzie Borden murders. As you will recall, she was unkind to her parents and the Globe had a tremendous amount of coverage of that situation.

--Jim

That's all I need. Smile

(12-09-2012 10:17 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  July 1864 - Was JWB or Edward performing in Boston?

Sorry Jerry. It starts in March of 1874.

(12-09-2012 05:42 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Is there an editorial, etc. regarding the reaction in Boston when Babe Ruth was sold to the Yankees?

Here you go, Roger.

Best
Rob

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Babe Ruth.pdf (Size: 21.33 KB / Downloads: 4)

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Many thanks, Rob. I was curious about the reaction in Beantown.

I was also trying to rouse Dan on a Sunday morning. It worked. (He is as dedicated to the Boston teams as I am to Chicago's).
12-09-2012, 01:53 PM
(12-09-2012 10:17 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  July 1864 - Was JWB or Edward performing in Boston?

Booth pretty much wrapped up his acting career with a one month run at the Boston Museum from April 25th through May 27th., 1864. There's only a few dates after that. I don't think the theaters were open during the summer months, but things may have been different in theaters in the north.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-09-2012, 03:38 PM
(12-09-2012 01:53 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  

Booth pretty much wrapped up his acting career with a one month run at the Boston Museum from April 25th through May 27th., 1864. There's only a few dates after that. I don't think the theaters were open during the summer months, but things may have been different in theaters in the north.
My notes say he was at the Parker House in July 1864 - Just wondering if it was business or pleasure.
12-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Jerry, Mr. James O. Hall wrote, "No record has been found to show that Booth was considering this scheme prior to the time he registered at the Parker House on July 26, 1864. Yet the evidence is persuasive that he left the hotel four days later for Baltimore to enlist the first two recruits into the evolving conspiracy that would ultimately take the life of Abraham Lincoln."

On July 24, 1864, Booth wrote to Isabel Sumner, "I will come at once to Boston."

So did he go to meet with Confederate agents or to see Isabel Sumner?
12-09-2012, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 08:22 PM by JMadonna.)
(12-09-2012 05:10 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Jerry, Mr. James O. Hall wrote, "No record has been found to show that Booth was considering this scheme prior to the time he registered at the Parker House on July 26, 1864. Yet the evidence is persuasive that he left the hotel four days later for Baltimore to enlist the first two recruits into the evolving conspiracy that would ultimately take the life of Abraham Lincoln."

On July 24, 1864, Booth wrote to Isabel Sumner, "I will come at once to Boston."

So did he go to meet with Confederate agents or to see Isabel Sumner?

Good question. Do you know anymore about the note to Isabel?
My notes say that Godfrey Hyams, Jacob Thompson's courier and Luke Blackburn's plague distributor, was also registered at the Parker House when Booth was there.
12-09-2012, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 09:12 PM by J. Beckert.)
It's appears to be nothing more than a love letter. He requests of her to never let anyone see his letters. Booth's next surviving letter to her was on Aug. 26th. when he was laid up in NYC with erysipelas at Edwin's home.

Here's a link to the letter in the Taper/Rhodehamel book - It's on pages 115 - 116
http://books.google.com/books?id=x-5t8Zd...el&f=false

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-10-2012, 07:56 AM
(12-09-2012 08:21 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  My notes say that Godfrey Hyams, Jacob Thompson's courier and Luke Blackburn's plague distributor, was also registered at the Parker House when Booth was there.

The authors of Come Retribution agree. They feel the Confederate agents registered using aliases. Jerry, if you have that book, it's covered on pp. 262-263.
12-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Joe & Roger,
Many Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jerry
12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Wasn't Isabel only 16 at the time? Maybe he wanted to use her as an excuse to go to Boston. As I recall, he wrote her letters, but that she didn't reply (or those letters to him are lost)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?