I love researching!
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 06:02 PM by Dave Taylor.)
Heart I love researching!
This is off topic, but I just want to be really nerdy and express my the great deal of pleasure I receive from researching. We all have our areas of interest and I feel like there is no better rush than when you get your hands on something "new". In the history field "new" really means old, but the rush is still exhilarating.

Due to the conference coming up in three short months, I've been hitting my Garrett research pretty hard. Over the course of this week I've found seven pictures of the Garrett farmhouse, four of which I have never seen in any book. I've also made contact with a new Garrett descendant and I am learning some wonderful family history from her. Lindsey can attest to me being on cloud nine yesterday when I received several of my pictures.

Spill the beans my nerdy friends, what discoveries have you found that just made you feel good inside?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
RE: I love researching!
(12-07-2012 06:02 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Spill the beans my nerdy friends, what discoveries have you found that just made you feel good inside?

Dave, I am certainly no researcher on the level of the folks here, but I was researching a potential employer before a job interview and discovered that Irving Feld, of the Feld Bros Circus, was the fellow who sponsored Buddy Holly's fatal 1959 Winter Dance Party tour and would have been his manager had Holly lived.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
Find all posts by this user
12-07-2012, 07:08 PM
I've learned that research is fun, but writing isn't. Big Grin

I've also learned that having Ida Tarbell's letters in a digitized format is wonderful, but I've gone through about a dozen ink cartridges in printing out her letters and I've got about 20 more years to go.

I've learned that Ida Tarbell isn't the first woman who wrote a biography of Abraham Lincoln. That award goes to The Rev. Phebe Ann Coffin Hanaford who in 1865 wrote Abraham Lincoln: His Life and Public Services. So why did Tarbell's survive and Hanaford's didn't? Well, partly because Hanaford's was, let us say, barnyardish in odor while Tarbell's had merit.

For me, research is like sinking a 30 foot putt after playing a completely crappy round of golf. It's that one moment that you do something magical that makes all those hours alone and enmeshed in mind-numbing work all worth it.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-07-2012, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 11:18 PM by BettyO.)
I have to say that I LOVE both the research and the writing --

To me, research is the "digging"; the "I see Wonderful Things" with a Howard Carter aspect; because one NEVER knows what one will find.... it's a treasure hunt - Spill the beans? Cloud 9 feeling is right, Dave!

Mine would have to be my long-held friendship with the Powell family - Lewis Powell baby picture and boyhood photos; boyhood stories, as well as locating the Hartranft Letter Books. Mr. Hall was so tickled with that one! I HATE tooting my own horn, but it was Pure Gold!!

Writing is putting all the pieces of the puzzle together -- I just love the entire aspect of it -- overall, yes I do enjoy the research more - but I love everything about the entire process....

Wish I could do this for a living!

Now - as to Engineering..... OMG - Don't even ASK !! Dodgy

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Frankly, I love good researchers! I love learning of their discoveries and broadening my history horizon. I have never been able to devote significant time to doing research, but I love writing and talking about what others have taught me -- and yes, I like to give credit where credit is due.
12-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Amen!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-08-2012, 12:23 AM
I feel the same way, Dave. Researching is a lot of fun (just wish I had a few extra hours in the day for it).

Nevertheless, I got my hands on something new tonight . . . and I'm still on cloud nine.

After a long commute home from NYC, I was ready to collapse on the sofa and watch the latest episode of "American Greed." But there, in the mail, was a small envelope from the University of Iowa Library. In the envelope was a flash drive of documents pertaining to the late Congressman Fred Schwengel.

Tonight I learned that Congressman Schwengel, who was instrumental in securing funds for the restoration of Ford's Theatre, hoped that the restored theatre would officially reopen on April 14, 1965.

A letter from Schwengel to Congressman Ben Jensen (July 7, 1961) states in part:

"It is our hope that this project may go forward promptly in order that the completed restored Ford's Theatre may be opened to the public on April 14, 1965. This would be a most fitting tribute to Abraham Lincoln on the anniversary of that fateful day, April 14, 1865."

Now I need to research the cause behind the delay, as Ford's Theatre officially reopened in January of 1968.

Lastly, plaudits for the friendly and helpful research teams at our government and academic institutions. They are the best!
12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
(12-08-2012 12:23 AM)ReignetteC Wrote:  I feel the same way, Dave. Researching is a lot of fun (just wish I had a few extra hours in the day for it).

Nevertheless, I got my hands on something new tonight . . . and I'm still on cloud nine.

After a long commute home from NYC, I was ready to collapse on the sofa and watch the latest episode of "American Greed." But there, in the mail, was a small envelope from the University of Iowa Library. In the envelope was a flash drive of documents pertaining to the late Congressman Fred Schwengel.

Tonight I learned that Congressman Schwengel, who was instrumental in securing funds for the restoration of Ford's Theatre, hoped that the restored theatre would officially reopen on April 14, 1965.

A letter from Schwengel to Congressman Ben Jensen (July 7, 1961) states in part:

"It is our hope that this project may go forward promptly in order that the completed restored Ford's Theatre may be opened to the public on April 14, 1965. This would be a most fitting tribute to Abraham Lincoln on the anniversary of that fateful day, April 14, 1865."

Now I need to research the cause behind the delay, as Ford's Theatre officially reopened in January of 1968.

Lastly, plaudits for the friendly and helpful research teams at our government and academic institutions. They are the best!

How absolutely facinating!

I'm so very glad for you - and yes, it's the little things like that which make my day! Research teams at institutions whether government or private are grand, I totally agree.

ReignetteC, you may want to contact Laurie Verge who could give you a good contact for Ford's Theatre. I am very good friends with Frank Hebblewaith who used to be the curator of Ford's but he is long gone to another NPS facility....

12-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I have included many links to Dave's outstanding research on this forum, but we have added many new members in the past month. For those unfamiliar with Dave's work, please go here to view the work of a terrific young researcher.

My thing is not research. What gives me a good feeling is owning a few books, pamplets, etc. that I think are really scarce.

I own a signed copy of Another Sunny Day by William Russo. It was published in 1999, and I did a recent search and could find only one copy for sale on the web. It is a book about the Lincoln assassination and is 376 pages long. Does anyone else own a copy of Another Sunny Day?
12-08-2012, 04:57 PM
I have never heard of that book, Roger; and I thought that almost every book about the assassination was monitored by our gift shop. Let me know what you think.

Reignette - I met Fred Schwengel several times back in the 1970s and 80s, when he was a driving force with the Lincoln Group of D.C. Very forceful Lincoln devotee, and I'm surprised that he couldn't move heaven and earth to get the Ford's Theatre project done on time.

Frank Hebblethwaite is the only one of the NPS Rangers that I know would have been around in the early days. I think Frank came in about ten years after the opening of the theater. E-mail me at laurie.verge@pgparks.com and I will supply a current e-mail for Frank. There's a whole new regime down there now.

I suspect that the cause for the delays was largely due to funding. Like nearly everywhere in the government world, anything pertaining to history takes a back seat at budget time.
12-08-2012, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 10:35 PM by ReignetteC.)
(12-08-2012 11:46 AM)BettyO Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 12:23 AM)ReignetteC Wrote:  I feel the same way, Dave. Researching is a lot of fun (just wish I had a few extra hours in the day for it).

How absolutely facinating!

I'm so very glad for you - and yes, it's the little things like that which make my day! Research teams at institutions whether government or private are grand, I totally agree.

ReignetteC, you may want to contact Laurie Verge who could give you a good contact for Ford's Theatre. I am very good friends with Frank Hebblewaith who used to be the curator of Ford's but he is long gone to another NPS facility....

Thank you, Betty, for the recommendation.

BTW, I read your fascinating book about Lewis Powell a few years ago --

(12-08-2012 04:57 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I have never heard of that book, Roger; and I thought that almost every book about the assassination was monitored by our gift shop. Let me know what you think.

Reignette - I met Fred Schwengel several times back in the 1970s and 80s, when he was a driving force with the Lincoln Group of D.C. Very forceful Lincoln devotee, and I'm surprised that he couldn't move heaven and earth to get the Ford's Theatre project done on time.

Frank Hebblethwaite is the only one of the NPS Rangers that I know would have been around in the early days. I think Frank came in about ten years after the opening of the theater. E-mail me at laurie.verge@pgparks.com and I will supply a current e-mail for Frank. There's a whole new regime down there now.

I suspect that the cause for the delays was largely due to funding. Like nearly everywhere in the government world, anything pertaining to history takes a back seat at budget time.

It was said in Schwengel's obituary that " a friend once joked of Schwengel's love of Lincoln lore: "'Fred won't be happy until he's shot at Ford's Theatre.'"

In late 1967, Congressman Schwengel lead the drive to secure funds to purchase the Lincoln assassination clothing from Alphonse Donn's granddaughter. Donn's family asked $50K but settled for $25K.

Laurie, Thanks for the connection to Ford's. Although I've dealt with a gentleman in its public relations department for a few years, an employee from the early days would be an invaluable resource. As requested, I'll send you an e-mail.
12-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Reignette -ever since the latest remodeling, it appears (at least to me) that the Ford's Theatre Society holds more sway over the whole operations than does the NPS who owns the site. If you have been dealing with a public relations department, I suspect that it is with the Society, not the Park Service. If we find the right person, the NPS should be better with the history angle. There is at least one excellent young ranger down there now that is wonderful to work with.
12-09-2012, 09:35 PM
(12-09-2012 12:47 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Reignette -ever since the latest remodeling, it appears (at least to me) that the Ford's Theatre Society holds more sway over the whole operations than does the NPS who owns the site. If you have been dealing with a public relations department, I suspect that it is with the Society, not the Park Service. If we find the right person, the NPS should be better with the history angle. There is at least one excellent young ranger down there now that is wonderful to work with.

Thanks!
12-10-2012, 03:17 PM
I will second everyone that has posted on this thread and say that research is a labor of love for me also. I will also agree with Rob and say that writing can be the most challenging part after the research. I am fairly new as far as being a researcher in the Lincoln Assassination field, and must admit that most of the original tidbits that I have uncovered have been limited to the Boston Corbett saga. However, I have also uncovered some gems when doing research for my book "Fireballs" (historical accounts of meteors, Ball Lightning and other aerial phenomena) which I published a few years back.
Research is definitely a labor of love! Especially when you get to share it with so many wonderful people, like the people who post on this forum.

Craig
12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi Craig. That is wonderful!! I hope you won't mind me posting this link and also this link.