Perpetuating Assumptions as Fact
12-03-2012, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 10:41 PM by John E..)
Perpetuating Assumptions as Fact
Perpetuating Assumptions as Fact: Part Deux

Barry and I are at it again! We have identified egregious errors by authors Osborn Oldroyd and Mark Katz that wrongly credit photographer Timothy O'Sullivan with assisting Alexander Gardner with the Mug Shot photos of the conspirators and their Execution photos.

This isn't the first time for Oldroyd:
** See "A Peek" Inside The Walls - Supplement for the Surratt Society Conference 2011.

On page 79 of his book, "The assassination of Abraham Lincoln: flight, pursuit, capture, and punishment of the conspirators", Oldroyd changes the wording of an official War Department document to support his own assumption. The document in question comes from Stanton and Wells and gives permission for several people to come onboard the Montauk to view Booth's body.

In Oldroyd's transcription, he includes the name "T. H. O'Sullivan" next to the word "assistant". The original document does not include O'Sullivan's name at all.

Katz makes a similar alteration in his book "Witness To An Era". On page 162, he transcribes a letter written by James A. Wardell (who claimed the autopsy photo existed and was personally responsible for delivering it to Col. Baker and Stanton).

From the letter:

"I went with Gardiner [sic] and the darky and saw that they had a wagon with them and on the seat was another man [O'Sullivan]." Katz was responsible for placing the name O'Sullivan in brackets.

Based upon his initial assumption that O'Sullivan assisted Gardner, Katz goes on to credit O'Sullivan as helping Gardner with the Execution photos too. While its likely Gardner required assistance, we have found NO proof whatsoever to support this claim. In fact Katz takes things a few steps further by claiming Gardner operated the stereoscope camera while O'Sullivan operated the Single lensed camera.

We know that Gardner was adamant that any photographer who worked for him got proper credit. None of the mug shot photos taken on the monitors or on execution day were credited as being taken byTimothy O'Sullivan.

If anyone has any documentation or reference to O'Sullivan being on site either at the Navy Yard or at the Arsenal Penitentiary, we'd like to see it.

Gardner had many assistants, including his brother that could have helped him with the preparation and development process. While he used two cameras on July 7, 1865 - They were close enough together that all he had to do was lift the lens caps simultaneously or just alternate between cameras.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 08:25 PM
RE: Perpetuating Assumptions as Fact
Is there a ship's log still in existence for the Montauk which would show who signed in to come aboard?

Personal note: After watching the detective firm of Elliott and Cauchon at work for several years now, I was wondering if I could hire you gentlemen to dig up some dirt on a few people that I keep on my hit list? Just kidding...
12-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Great work guys. Your work is enlightening and enjoyable. Sadly Mark Katz passed away a few years ago. While he may have been mistaken on O'Sullivan, he was probably one of the first to start digging into the work of Alexander Gardner.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the conference.
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 08:54 PM by John E..)
Hi Laurie, yes there are ship logs and none of them mention O'Sullivan or Gardner.

(12-03-2012 08:30 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  Great work guys. Your work is enlightening and enjoyable. Sadly Mark Katz passed away a few years ago. While he may have been mistaken on O'Sullivan, he was probably one of the first to start digging into the work of Alexander Gardner.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the conference.

Yes he was. I still hold the majority of his work in high esteem but his errors are pretty bad. He has a copy of the original Archives document in his book - the one that does not list O'Sullivan's name.

He also says the rooftop view was taken before the execution commenced. You can clearly see the bodies already hanging in that photo.
12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
That's strange that Gardner is not mentioned... Maybe they didn't have to sign in since they came bearing passes??
12-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I checked the ships logs as well as the Navy Yard logs. No mention of Gardner being admitted at all. Seatun Monroe was also on board and he wasn't listed either. His brother got him in.
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
John E: I love the title of your thread-it says so much about what has often occurred in the "Lincoln world" going back for so long.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user