Herndon House
07-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Herndon House
Apparently, the Herndon House went under "new management" after the assassination.

In lieu of the notoriety of the Murray's former boarder, conspirator Lewis Powell who registered as "Mr. Kincheloe", (name of another of Mosby's troopers) and was assigned to Room # 6 on the 3rd floor, front, the erstwhile landlord and landlady decided that enough was enough and sold the place after the trial and execution of their boarder. The fact that it was brought out (although we don't know how legitimate was the contention) that JWB, Herold and Atzerodt also frequented Powell's room on the night of the assassination, didn't bode well for the reputation of the Murray's establishment as well.

Recently, Linda Anderson found this add for a "New and Improved" Herndon House in the 1867 Washington DC City Directory. The Herndon House was therefore listed as being "Under New Management"....

[Image: herndonhousead1867.jpg]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 04:27 PM by RJNorton.)
RE: Herndon House
I am aware of Linda Anderson's skills as a researcher. She is amazing!

Betty, there was testimony at the trial that Mary Surratt visited Lewis Powell in his room at the Herndon House. If true, any idea why she went to see him?
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
(07-04-2012 04:11 PM)rjnorton Wrote:  I am aware of Linda Anderson's skills as a researcher. She is amazing!

Betty, there was testimony at the trial that Mary Surratt visited Lewis Powell in his room at the Herndon House. If true, any idea why she went to see him?

Apparently by going to pay a visit on a single young gentleman, Mrs. Surratt was breaking every rule of Victorian womanhood! But the question is raised - DID she actually visit Powell? According to Weichmann, she went into the Herndon House to see Mr. Powell (or Kincheloe as the case may be) -- we don't know why, although either before or after (I'll have to check and see which - can't remember right now) Mrs. Surratt wanted to "borrow" one of Powell's horses and sent her brother, Zaddock to meet with Powell for this issue. Powell refused to loan the horses, saying that they may be needed for other purposes (apparently the kidnap plot).... Atzerodt confirmed this in his confession, I believe.

I would have to say that perhaps, if she DID go to visit Powell at the Herndon House it was related to the matter of the horses or as a deliverer of a message from Surratt to Powell. Although why she couldn't leave the message with Parr (supposedly Powell's employer) I don't know.

It also could be that the supposition that Mrs. Surratt visited Powell was just fabrication to make her appear "hardened" and "unladylike" in her manner so as to give her more of a "conspiratoress" impression to the court....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Interesting article in this months Surratt Courier by Lindsey Horn about "Mrs. Surratt and Victorian Womenhood."

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
(07-06-2012 10:48 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Interesting article in this months Surratt Courier by Lindsey Horn about "Mrs. Surratt and Victorian Womenhood."

Thank you, Betty and Roger, for your kind words.

Lindsey's article is very illuminating about the role of women in Victorian society, especially the comment that Mrs. Surratt's "house was found in a very disordered condition, the beds all unmade, the clothes piled on chairs, and everything in confusion, showing very plainly that the inmates had other business on hand than the usual business of housekeeping."

Forget the evidence! Mrs. Surratt's disordered house clearly showed to the detectives that she was up to no good.
07-08-2012, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 09:46 AM by Gene C.)
Linda wrote "Forget the evidence! Mrs. Surratt's disordered house clearly showed to the detectives that she was up to no good."

I was going to comment on this but,
" Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue" Proverbs 17:28

07-08-2012, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 11:48 AM by BettyO.)
(07-08-2012 09:45 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Linda wrote "Forget the evidence! Mrs. Surratt's disordered house clearly showed to the detectives that she was up to no good."

" Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue" Proverbs 17:28

I think that the house was "disordered" because of the searching by the detectives - the press got a hold of this and blew it out of proportion....
Although I think Mrs. Surratt was not as innocent as claimed, I don't think she kept a slovenly house; i.e. a flop house.... remember that she threw out poor George Atzerodt as Anna and herself did not care to "have such sticks about". She did advertise for "Gentlemen boarders" in the Washington Star in November of 1864. I was wondering if she was still advertising in 1865, but haven't been able to locate an ad....

07-08-2012, 10:50 AM
(07-08-2012 10:15 AM)BettyO Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 09:45 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Linda wrote "Forget the evidence! Mrs. Surratt's disordered house clearly showed to the detectives that she was up to no good."

I think that the house was "disordered" because of the searching by the detectives - the press got a hold of this and blew it out of proportion....
Although I think Mrs. Surratt was not as innocent as claimed, I don't think she kept a slovenly house; i.e. a flop house....

I hope it came across that I was being ironic in my comment. Good point, Betty, about how the Victorians equated sloppy housekeeping with immorality.
07-08-2012, 10:50 AM
I think that Joe Beckert can probably attest to the fact that, even today, authorities ransack a house and leave it in disarray when trying to find evidence against an accused person. Our new exhibit for 2013 will have a period sketch of Union troops doing that in a Maryland home.

Mrs. Surratt's boardinghouse on H Street was in a very good neighborhood in 1865; she was considered a pious, well-bred (Catholic schooled) woman. Anna was also well-schooled and talented. They may have been scarce on money, but I believe they enjoyed good manners and good upbringing. Do I think they would support Confederate operations? Yes, but that did not effect their personal habits related to housekeeping.

Besides, Louis Weichmann was such a whiner, I'm sure that he would have had some sniveling comments about poor housekeeping! It was just the press trying to make mountains out of mole hills to attract the public and sway opinion -- things haven't changed a bit.
07-08-2012, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 11:35 AM by J. Beckert.)
Rainbow RE: Herndon House
Yes, Laurie, I can attest to that! I've always tried to be as unobtrusive as possible with searches, but not everyone is as nice as me, are they?

As my career is now down to it's final 7 weeks, (tick, tick, tick), I'm very thankful that the many "people" who have tried to leave me in a state of disarray on the side of the road, did not succeed!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Even if Mary did not know Booth's plans ahead of time, the fact that detectives had already searched her boarding house at 3 A. M. right after the assassination looking for Booth and her son, John, might make housekeeping the last thing on her mind.
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 11:51 AM by BettyO.)
(07-08-2012 11:36 AM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Even if Mary did not know Booth's plans ahead of time, the fact that detectives had already searched her boarding house at 3 A. M. right after the assassination looking for Booth and her son, John, might make housekeeping the last thing on her mind.

Agreed, Linda! This is more than likely the case as well....

(07-08-2012 11:32 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Yes, Laurie, I can attest to that! I've always tried to be as unobtrusive as possible with searches, but not everyone is as nice as me, are they?

As my career is now down to it's final 7 weeks, (tick, tick, tick), I'm very thankful that the many "people" who have tried to leave me in a state of disarray on the side of the road, did not succeed!

We're very glad that they didn't leave you in disarray as well, Joe! Shy

07-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Laurie wrote -
Besides, Louis Weichmann was such a whiner, I'm sure that he would have had some sniveling comments about poor housekeeping!

C'mon Laurie, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think about poor Louis.

I think poor Louis just couldn't put all the pieces together untill the end and he had a hard time believing Mrs Surratt was really in as deep as she was. (because he didn't want to believe it) Fortunately, there were some helpfull federal authorities who were willing to "enlighten" him. Sometimes its hard to figure out what's going on when you are on the inside looking out, compared to being on the outside, looking in.

07-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Joe, when you retire I sure hope you will still be able to give out those great trivia prizes for right answers. Seriously, kudos not only on your retirement but also your career. I am assuming I read your post correctly, and you are retiring in 7 weeks. Please excuse if I read it wrong.
07-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Thank you for your kind words Roger. It's much appreciated coming from a gentleman such as yourself. That's why I think you're the "politest man on the internet". Seven weeks is correct.

Last nights debut of "Stump the Yankee" was just the start. When I get totally healed up and have a little more free time on my hands, I'm going to try and come up with some that will have Laurie and Betty kicking the dog in frustration!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"