Government of the people(1), by the people(2), for the people(3)
04-10-2024, 11:33 AM
Government of the people(1), by the people(2), for the people(3)
I was rereading this morning a portion of the United States Supreme Court opinion in McCulloch v. Maryland, 17 U.S. 316, 404-405 (1819) and made an interesting discovery for myself. The U.S. Supreme Court's opinion was written by Chief Justice John Marshall:

"[I]n order to form a more perfect union," it was deemed necessary to change this alliance into an effective Government, possessing great and sovereign powers and acting directly on the people, the necessity of referring it to the people, and deriving its powers directly from them, was felt and acknowledged by all. The Government of the Union then (whatever may be the influence of this fact on the case) is, emphatically and truly a Government of the people.(1) In form and substance, it emanates from them.(2) Its powers are granted by them, and are to be exercised directly on them, and for their benefit.(3)

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2024, 11:13 PM
RE: Government of the people(1), by the people(2), for the people(3)
Words from the Gettysburg Address:

[W]e here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply