Aleksei Navalny, Putin Critic, Is Dead
02-16-2024, 03:20 PM

The leading opposition figure in Russia died in prison, the Tass news agency reported.

Navalny's spokeswoman said his team could not immediately confirm his death.

In terms of contribution to the institution of democracy, Navalny's efforts and accomplishments rank with those made by President Abraham Lincoln and Mikhail Gorbachev.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2024, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2024 12:09 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Aleksei Navalny, Putin Critic, Is Dead
Navalny video day before he died

Navalny had managed to record a video from an institutional-appearing location, to be released by his team in the event of his death.

“You’re not allowed to give up,” he said to supporters. “If they decide to kill me, it means that we are incredibly strong. We don’t realize how strong we actually are.”

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
02-17-2024, 04:18 PM
David,

With all due respect, as horrific as this is, it has absolutely nothing to do with Lincoln, even with an attempt to compare him with Lincoln.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
02-17-2024, 10:55 PM
(02-17-2024 04:18 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  David,

With all due respect, as horrific as this is, it has absolutely nothing to do with Lincoln, even with an attempt to compare him with Lincoln.

Best
Rob

Do either one of them have anything to do with the preservation of the institution of democracy?

In their own time and place, both of these men made a truly significant contribution to the cause of democracy.

And, you can add Einstein to the list: "A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." July 8, 1901.

02-18-2024, 04:02 AM
And yet, you are the only person who answers your own posts. Seems like you are the only one who thinks it is relevant.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
02-18-2024, 02:50 PM
(02-18-2024 04:02 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  And yet, you are the only person who answers your own posts. Seems like you are the only one who thinks it is relevant.

Best
Rob

You answered my post. Does that mean you think that my post is relevant? Or, did you just want to make the point emphatic?

And, I thought the Einstein quote was also currently very relevant.

02-18-2024, 03:10 PM
I actually commented on the irrelevance of your post, not the post itself. It might help you to learn the difference.

As for the Einstein quote, exactly when did Lincoln meet the professor?

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
02-18-2024, 05:48 PM
(02-18-2024 03:10 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  I actually commented on the irrelevance of your post, not the post itself. It might help you to learn the difference.

As for the Einstein quote, exactly when did Lincoln meet the professor?

Best
Rob

I'll disagree with you Rob.
"Irrelevance is in the eye of the beholder."
That's from a non-biblical text of a recently discovered Dead Sea Scroll -
The Book Of 2nd Opinions.

In regards to the Einstein quote, we had a seance at our home the other night and Einstein met Lincoln. I think that they had met before this, but Lincoln is so outgoing and friendly, with him its hard to tell.
By the way Houdini was also there, but he refused to acknowledge their presence
Angel

(this post will mysteriously disappear - like a puff of smoke -in the next 24 hours)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
02-18-2024, 06:39 PM
Quote:"Irrelevance is in the eye of the beholder."

Given that my eye is the only eye I can use, I have to say that this eye beheld it.

By the way, Einstein contacted me via email and asked if I would post this picture apparently taken at your seance. Here it is.

[Image: EvVTltNW_t.jpeg]

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
02-19-2024, 08:33 AM
That's a good likeness of him Rob, thanks.
Smile

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
02-19-2024, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 01:02 PM by David Lockmiller.)
The New York Times reported today:

The Russian authorities detained at least 366 people, detained in 39 cities across Russia, as thousands of Russians publicly mourned the death of the opposition leader Aleksei Navalny.

A bishop who planned a public prayer for the Russian opposition leader Aleksei A. Navalny was detained as he left his house. Two men were arrested for having a photograph of Mr. Navalny in a backpack. Another man who lay flowers at a memorial said he was beaten by police officers for the small act of remembrance.

The Russian Orthodox Church, the largest religious community in the country, has supported the Kremlin and given its imprimatur to the invasion of Ukraine.

I wish I had the power to silence my critics.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2024/02/...&auto=webp

02-19-2024, 02:14 PM
I come here to get away from the present world and to hopefully learn something new about Lincoln. If I want to talk current events I will go to the NYT website.

If you want to silence your critics, don't say anything that opens you up to criticism.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
02-19-2024, 03:55 PM
(02-19-2024 02:14 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  If you want to silence your critics, don't say anything that opens you up to criticism.

Best
Rob

Good idea for everyone!

02-19-2024, 04:44 PM
You're probably right, but as the late C.Vann Woodward once said of his critics, "Long may they persevere!"

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
02-19-2024, 05:07 PM
(02-19-2024 04:44 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  You're probably right, but as the late C.Vann Woodward once said of his critics, "Long may they persevere!"

Best
Rob

I'll try to do the same.