Jonathan Mann, a collector of Lincolnia
01-25-2024, 06:12 AM
Jonathan Mann, a collector of Lincolnia
Jonathan Mann was a collector of Lincoln rare letters, photographs, banners, ballots, ribbons, campaign songbooks, etc. According to an article in today's New York Times (1/25/2024), Mann died last August, at the age of 61, after suffering a head injury during a random attack by a disturbed stranger while on a daytime walk across the Manhattan Bridge.

A television clip shows Jonathan Mann entertaining Martha Stewart with stories about Lincoln’s dogs, and a chance to touch the keys to his Springfield law office and Mary Todd Lincoln’s mourning veil.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2024, 01:10 AM
RE: Jonathan Mann, a collector of Lincolnia
Jonathan was a wonderful man, very selfless with his time and his immense knowledge of all things relating to Lincoln. I spoke to him several times about pieces I had or were interested in during his auctions. The Railsplitter auctions were legendary and as he once told me - "a labor of love". Such a shame NYC has devolved into the mess it is now. May he rest in peace.
Thanks for the nice clip, David.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply