From the Peoria Daily Union, Oct 16 1854
10-16-2023, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 12:38 PM by Amy L..)
From the Peoria Daily Union, Oct 16 1854
On this day 169 years ago (supposedly at 7pm CST), it seems Lincoln re-boosted his political career with his arguments against the Nebraska Bill. (After literally fleeing the "radical Republicans" in Springfield Oct 4th. That sounds funny.)

" 'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.' At the hazard of being thought one of the fools of this quotation, I meet that argument — I rush in — I take that bull by the horns. I trust I understand and truly estimate the right of self government. My faith in the proposition that each [person] should do precisely as [they] please with all which is exclusively [their] own lies at the foundation of the sense of justice there is in me. I extend the principle to communities... as well as to individuals. I so extend it because it is politically wise, as well as naturally just; politically wise in saving us from broils about matters which do not concern us. Here, or at Washington, I would not trouble myself with the oyster laws of Virginia, or the cranberry laws of Indiana. The doctrine of self-government is right — absolutely and eternally right — but it has no just application as here attempted. ... When the white man governs himself, that is self-government; but when he governs himself and also governs [another], that is more than self-government — that is despotism. ... [My] ancient faith teaches me that 'all men are created equal,'..."

Denton Snider is quoted (in the Illinois Daily Journal?):
"Lincoln shows his hatred of slavery, in his Peoria speech, and pricks many a sophistical bubble cleverly blown by Douglas for vindicating himself before the people. Upon Lincoln has dawned a bright auroral promise of a new career at the age of forty-five years, in the very flowering of his highest talent. And let it not be forgotten! That adversary and antitype of his, so long triumphant over him, he can now clutch with the grip of Ophiuchus and hale the violator of what he deems the right before the judgment-seat of the Folk-Soul, Yea of the Ages."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply