What is your best one-word description of President Abraham Lincoln's character?
09-23-2023, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2023 10:22 AM by David Lockmiller.)
What is your best one-word description of President Abraham Lincoln's character?
A concise explanation of your choice is in order, but not necessary.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2023, 12:00 PM
RE: What is your best one-word description of President Abraham Lincoln's character?
Complex.
09-23-2023, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2023 01:05 PM by AussieMick.)
RE: What is your best one-word description of President Abraham Lincoln's character?
Determined.
He knew what he wanted and used every strategy possible to achieve objectives. When something went wrong or events caused problems he altered tactics. Never allowed personal hurts to prevent him using best people nor harboured grudges.

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
09-23-2023, 01:52 PM
Two very good and appropriate answers.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
09-23-2023, 03:42 PM
Human.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-23-2023, 05:18 PM
(09-23-2023 03:42 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Human.

Best
Rob

And, I was thinking that Abraham Lincoln may have been extraterrestrial.

09-23-2023, 06:24 PM
Ah, David, your hilarity knows no bounds.

Actually, I was attempting to head off your constant attempts to deify Lincoln beyond recognition.

Given that character is a subjective measure (what makes for character is as diverse as our society), I don't see the point of an exercise like this other than as a way to kill a few minutes.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-23-2023, 11:35 PM
(09-23-2023 06:24 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Actually, I was attempting to head off your constant attempts to deify Lincoln beyond recognition.

Rob

I knew that.

09-24-2023, 01:28 AM
“Fortitude” is defined at dictionary.com: “the mental and emotional strength in courageously facing difficulty, adversity, danger, or temptation.”

Five examples of Abraham Lincoln's “Shakespearean fortitude”:

1. Snow Brothers lawsuit and Dakota 38

2. little girl willing to sacrifice her life in exchange for her father's life
In subsequent posts on the same thread, Steve's research was instrumental in showing how other men's lives were also saved as a result.

3. 166th Ohio regiment speech

4."blind memorandum" (the following day)

5. Ida Tarbell on Lincoln's Reelection in 1864

09-29-2023, 09:44 PM
Tolerant
09-29-2023, 10:04 PM
(09-29-2023 09:44 PM)Donna McCreary Wrote:  Tolerant

Why the word "tolerant"?

I can understand the word "intolerant" when it came to the expansion of slavery and the threat of permanent disunion of the states.

09-29-2023, 11:07 PM
Kind. I don't think anyone described him as unkind, not even his enemies. And certainly the word was used by his friends and acquaintances quite often, when describing Lincoln.
To me, it's the characteristic that stands out most.
09-30-2023, 07:43 AM
Loving - not as an emotion, but as an attitude

"Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.

from - I Corinthians 13
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ersion=NIV

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-30-2023, 09:38 AM
(09-29-2023 10:04 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  

Why the word "tolerant"?

I can understand the word "intolerant" when it came to the expansion of slavery and the threat of permanent disunion of the states.

Dave, you asked for a word to describe his character.
As a man, I find him to be tolerant.
To achieve a greater good, he was able to tolerate the negative aspects of another person. He was able to tolerate the imperfections of his wife and sons because he loved them. He tolerated Herndon's excessive drinking because of the relationship in the office. In Washington, he tolerated the criticism of members of Congress, statesmen, and the press to achieve his goals. He tolerated the constant meddling, criticism, back-biting, and general ill-will from members of the Todd family because . . . . well, I am not sure why he tolerate all of that, but because he did, Mary and the boys were able to maintain important family relationships.
09-30-2023, 11:56 AM
(09-30-2023 09:38 AM)Donna McCreary Wrote:  
(09-29-2023 10:04 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  

Why the word "tolerant"?

Dave, you asked for a word to describe his character.
As a man, I find him to be tolerant.
To achieve a greater good, he was able to tolerate the negative aspects of another person. He was able to tolerate the imperfections of his wife and sons because he loved them. He tolerated Herndon's excessive drinking because of the relationship in the office. In Washington, he tolerated the criticism of members of Congress, statesmen, and the press to achieve his goals. He tolerated the constant meddling, criticism, back-biting, and general ill-will from members of the Todd family because . . . . well, I am not sure why he tolerate all of that, but because he did, Mary and the boys were able to maintain important family relationships.

Good statement, Donna.

But I would disagree regarding his sons, especially Tad and Willie (his love for them was enormous and vice-versa). As for Robert Lincoln, he missed a relationship with him for much of Robert's early life. But Lincoln was able to convince Mary to permit Robert to serve admirably on General Grant's staff and that experience launched Robert into success for the rest of his life.

As for "Herndon's excessive drinking," he did tolerate that and excessive drinking was common at the time (like slavery). But Herndon was a good lawyer and Lincoln had a mutually-good personal relationship with him. I believe that he was also elected to be mayor of Springfield, the capital of the state of Illinois, and therefore was considered by many to be a man of merit.

As for Mary, toleration was mandatory. President Lincoln could only moderate his wife's behavior.

Toleration for the members of Congress was the necessary relationship of politics. The members of Congress are all elected by We the People and each had his vote in Congress on pending legislation Lincoln wanted passed into law. A movie was made about the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment legislation - it was an immense struggle but it ended with the "King's cure" [i.e., a constitutional amendment] ending slavery forever in the United States of America.