Lincoln's Final Days In Springfield
09-03-2023, 05:00 PM
Lincoln's Final Days In Springfield
Be sure to catch this program by forum member Scott Schroeder on Wednesday, September 20th from 7 - 8 PM at the Looking For Lincoln Facebook page listed below.

https://www.lookingforlincoln.org/events...pringfield

Hope to see you there

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2023, 06:53 PM
RE: Lincoln's Final Days In Springfield
(09-03-2023 05:00 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Be sure to catch this program by forum member Scott Schroeder on Wednesday, September 20th from 7 - 8 PM at the Looking For Lincoln Facebook page listed below.

https://www.lookingforlincoln.org/events...pringfield

Hope to see you there
Thanks Gene. What's the time zone?
09-03-2023, 07:44 PM
(09-03-2023 06:53 PM)Anita Wrote:  Thanks Gene. What's the time zone?

Not positive, but i believe it's Central Time

09-04-2023, 04:37 AM
This is wonderful. Maybe we will find out if Scott believes Louisa Klink's story is true.
09-04-2023, 04:38 PM
(09-03-2023 07:44 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(09-03-2023 06:53 PM)Anita Wrote:  Thanks Gene. What's the time zone?

Not positive, but i believe it's Central Time
Huh, that's 2-3 AM here...thanks for sharing - I will try...
09-06-2023, 09:48 PM
As Gene mentioned, the 7:00 start time for my talk is in fact Central Time.

Hope some of you may tune in and even ask a question or two (nothing too difficult of course. Big Grin)

And Roger, I did poke around into the question of Clara Louisa (Klink) Farley and posted my initial thoughts/findings in the relevant thread (which you linked to above).
09-18-2023, 10:08 AM
Hello all!

As a follow up to Gene’s previous message, here is information about a talk I will be giving this coming Wednesday (September 20, 2023). The program will begin at 7:00 pm CENTRAL TIME (8:00 pm eastern time, 6:00 pm mountain time, and 5:00 pm pacific time). The talk can be viewed on Facebook or Youtube (links are below).

An Affectionate Farewell: Lincoln’s Last Days in Springfield

On the morning of February 11, 1861, Abraham Lincoln looked out upon many of his rain soaked Springfield friends and neighbors from the back of a train car. He gave a brief, emotional speech and then departed for Washington DC. He would not live to see Springfield again. The story of Lincoln’s final days in Springfield has been told many times over the years. Yet, even with all that has been written, there are still interesting details about that time period that may be clarified or explored to a greater degree. This talk will look at and reexamine Lincoln’s last days in Springfield as well as link those days to some of the local landmarks that remain today.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/3532671580387180
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/live/NCXf1NDRGzU...ooGqLrNjTJ

Hope some of you might be able to tune in!
09-18-2023, 02:35 PM
"Yet, even with all that has been written, there are still interesting details about that time period that may be clarified or explored to a greater degree.
Looking forward to learning about those interesting details. Thanks Scott. See you Wednesday!
09-20-2023, 09:04 PM
Very impressed with Scott's presentation, and I have to say I learned quite a great deal that I did not know.

After hearing this, Scott, I looked at Tarbell's papers, and there are a couple of letters written to Tarbell from William D. Chenery in the late 1920s (and short replies by Tarbell) that talk about when Lincoln left the Chenery House Hotel. They are part of the Allegheny Collection. I don't know if they would be useful to you, but I thought I would let you know about them.

Great job!

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-20-2023, 10:47 PM
(09-06-2023 09:48 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Hope some of you may tune in and even ask a question or two (nothing too difficult of course. Big Grin)

I was going to ask a question if I had the chance to do so.

The timing of Lincoln's departure from Springfield forever was obviously very close to his birthday. Since Lincoln would be gone from Springfield for four years at least and many of his old friends would remain in Springfield for that entire time, I thought perhaps that there may have been an early "birthday and parting" party with some of his old friends in attendance.

But Lincoln was very busy and very much a one-to-one person and so may have preferred such intimate meetings in seeing old friends for perhaps the last time. As I recall, he visited his step-mother in such manner shortly before departing Springfield.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
09-21-2023, 06:27 AM
Scott, I enjoyed your talk very much. For some reason the question of whether Jameson Jenkins transported Lincoln to the depot reminded me of the problem of figuring out exactly which men carried the dying President from Ford's Theatre to the Petersen House. Over 20 men claimed or were given credit for doing this. It sounds like Jenkins has far less "competition" for being the one who drove Lincoln to the depot. Good luck on your research, Scott.
09-21-2023, 06:31 AM
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/live/NCXf1NDRGzU...ooGqLrNjTJ

In case you missed the presentation, it's been recorded.

09-21-2023, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2023 09:58 AM by STS Lincolnite.)
(09-20-2023 10:47 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  
(09-06-2023 09:48 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Hope some of you may tune in and even ask a question or two (nothing too difficult of course. Big Grin)

I was going to ask a question if I had the chance to do so.

The timing of Lincoln's departure from Springfield forever was obviously very close to his birthday. Since Lincoln would be gone from Springfield for four years at least and many of his old friends would remain in Springfield for that entire time, I thought perhaps that there may have been an early "birthday and parting" party with some of his old friends in attendance.

But Lincoln was very busy and very much a one-to-one person and so may have preferred such intimate meetings in seeing old friends for perhaps the last time. As I recall, he visited his step-mother in such manner shortly before departing Springfield.

Hi David,

I don’t know that there was any birthday party for Lincoln per say. However, the Lincoln’s did hold a farewell reception on February 6th at their home. I’m sure at least some birthday good wishes were passed on to Lincoln at that time knowing he would be absent for an extended period. Several newspapers reported the event. One source stated that “thousands” attended and that the reception, though scheduled from 7:00 pm to 12:00 am, lasted longer.

And yes, Lincoln did visit his stepmother in the Charleston, IL area. He left Springfield on January 30, 1861 and returns to Springfield on February 1, 1861.

(09-21-2023 06:27 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Scott, I enjoyed your talk very much. For some reason the question of whether Jameson Jenkins transported Lincoln to the depot reminded me of the problem of figuring out exactly which men carried the dying President from Ford's Theatre to the Petersen House. Over 20 men claimed or were given credit for doing this. It sounds like Jenkins has far less "competition" for being the one who drove Lincoln to the depot. Good luck on your research, Scott.

Thank you Roger. I did feel my talk was a little choppy. I did a lot of editing over the last few days to make sure I met the time guidelines. LOTS more context, information, and detail that I just didn't have time to share. So I'm not sure it flowed exactly the way I would have liked after having removed some of those things.

Yes, there is some similarity of difficulty in determining who drove Lincoln to the depot and who carried Lincoln to the Petersen House. Other examples might include who was in the Petersen House (or at Lincoln's bedside) the night he died and who served as housekeepers in the Lincoln household.

It it seems everyone was out to claim their connection with Lincoln in a given instance (whether true or not).

And therein lies one major difference here. In the case of who drove Lincoln to the depot, I have not been able find any primary source where ANY of the potential candidates themselves actually and/or directly claimed to have been the one to drive Lincoln. All names of the potential candidates were put forth later by others (and in most cases MUCH later). In spite of that, I do have very good circumstantial evidence that, when taken as a whole, definitely points to one of the candidates as the one who drove Lincoln to the Great Western Depot.
09-21-2023, 05:21 PM
Just the other day, Joe Bidden claimed he drove Lincoln to the Depot.
Turns out he was riding in a Lincoln, and they drove by Home Depot.
Confused

09-22-2023, 12:45 PM
(09-21-2023 05:21 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Just the other day, Joe Bidden claimed he drove Lincoln to the Depot.
Turns out he was riding in a Lincoln, and they drove by Home Depot.
Confused

Gene, is that the emoji used for "questionable humor"?

The primary function of emoji is to fill in cues otherwise missing from typed conversation.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch