The Flag is flying over Detroit's G.A.R. Hall!
11-07-2012, 09:53 AM
The Flag is flying over Detroit's G.A.R. Hall!
[Image: photobe7f4fab0293666295.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sometimes things turn out for the better. Detroit's G.A.R. Building had a Flag Raising Ceremony last Saturday, November 3, 2012. The flag hasn't flown over the building in 50 years! The structure has remained vacant for over 20 years. It is now being completely restored by an independent company. Plans are set to have a Grand Opening in 2013. There will be a G.A.R. Museum inside-along with various offices and businesses. How wonderful to think that the place where the old Union Civil War veterans had their meetings and "kept green the memory" (and talked about Lincoln?)-will be an active place once again. Like I said, sometimes things do turn out right.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2012, 10:01 AM
RE: The Flag is flying over Detroit's G.A.R. Hall!
That is absolutely wonderful, Bill!
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Fantastic, Bill!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-07-2012, 01:48 PM
(11-07-2012 09:53 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  [align=center
Sometimes things turn out for the better. Detroit's G.A.R. Building had a Flag Raising Ceremony last Saturday, November 3, 2012. The flag hasn't flown over the building in 50 years! The structure has remained vacant for over 20 years. It is now being completely restored by an independent company. Plans are set to have a Grand Opening in 2013. There will be a G.A.R. Museum inside-along with various offices and businesses. How wonderful to think that the place where the old Union Civil War veterans had their meetings and "kept green the memory" (and talked about Lincoln?)-will be an active place once again. Like I said, sometimes things do turn out right.[/align]

I hope it happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
04-14-2019, 06:56 AM
Update on this: Detroit’s GAR building is completely restored. It contains a restaurant and houses other businesses. There is a permanent area dedicated to the Union Veterans also. Job well done!

Bill Nash
04-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Bill, great news! Thanks for keeping the faith that "...sometimes things do turn out right." This is a perfect example.
04-15-2019, 06:13 AM
Yes! Now if Grant’s Detroit house can be restored it will be totally awesome.

Bill Nash