Wooden chairs on the gallows
11-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Wooden chairs on the gallows
Somewhere I thought I read that the wooden chairs that were placed on the gallows for the condemmed were the same ones that General Hartranfts staff used when posing for a picture. Can anyone tell me if this is correct. Look at the chair Davey is sitting in on the right. It looks like the same style chair. It appears the pic of the staff was taken in the corner to the left of the gallows.
[Image: hartranftsstaffatthepri.jpg]
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/hangingpics1.jpg/][Image: hangingpics1.jpg][/URL]
[Image: conspiratorschairsongal.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2012, 06:25 PM
RE: Wooden chairs on the gallows
I count about 23 people up on that scafold. OSHA woud have had a field day with that!
(Sorry, it's the insurance person in me)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey Rich:

Barry Cauchon and John Elliott were the source. They made a very convincing arguement at the conference 2 years ago.
11-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I was going to respond about Barry and John also. Those two gentlemen have dug up more stuff about Inside The Walls (their upcoming book on the conspirators' stay at the Penitentiary) than anyone I have known over the past forty years. In addition, Ed Isaacs has shared his wonderful diary of George Dixon that opened even more information to us.

I'm hoping that John and Barry will have another supplement of their work done in time for the Surratt conference in March. They continue to tease us with supplements while they work on the main book. This is when things get really interesting -- people start to specialize their studies on specific, little studied topics.
11-06-2012, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 08:08 PM by BettyO.)
Here is a close up of the chairs on the gallows - They sure look the same.

[Image: chairsongallowsdetail.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Great view Betty!
11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks, Rich -

Here is a close up of the staff -

[Image: generalhartranftandstaf.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
On page 196 of Twenty Days is a woodcut of the trial. The chairs look to be identical. Does anyone know who (Gardner?) took the staff picture?
11-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Rich, in Ed Steers and Harold Holzer's book on Hartranft's letterbook it says Gardner took the staff photo.
11-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks Roger. It was probably as Gardner was setting up for the execution. They probably took the staff photo and them moved 4 chairs up to the scaffold.
11-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I would agree that this timing seems proper, Rich. I can't imagine that they removed the chairs still "warm" from the condemned sitting in them after the hanging and then sat in them themselves for their "official portrait"....

11-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Gene, and 4 poor soldiers standing below the scaffold without hard hats.
11-21-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't understand the chairs on the gallows? I mean why would they be up there? I know that sounds silly but I've never thought there would be chairs on the gallows.
most prisions aren't probaly going to be sitting for the exectuion. I just dont see hey they would sitting was there speeched before they die or could some one please explain this for me.
Thank you.
11-21-2012, 03:55 PM
The chairs were a pretty good idea. Washington D.C. in the summer can be intolerably hot and humid. July 7, 1865 was one of those days with the temperature near 100 degrees and high humidity. Considering the health of Mrs. Surratt and the stress that the condemned were under, the chairs came in handy. In the Gardner images, all of the condemned are seated at one point. If I remember, Mrs. Surratt was so faint, they literally had to hold her up until a moment before they knocked out the posts.
11-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Ok, I understand that but doesnt that of defeat the purpose of execution to have them sit? I can understand the heat aspect. thought thinking aloud on that one . I think it was nice that they had Mary sit but it;s just seem ironic to have her sitting on the gallows. just an awkward thought,