Salmon Chase
11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Salmon Chase
What is your opinion of Salmon Chase, and why?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2012, 05:00 PM
RE: Salmon Chase
I like his fish. Big Grin

Seriously, he was the second-worst cabinet pick Lincoln made because of his disloyalty (first was Simon Cameron for his dishonesty...it was said that the only thing the man wouldn't steal was a red-hot stove).

That said, he was a very effective secretary of the treasury, so some might argue that the latter cancels out the former. I'm not sure.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Well, he did do a lot of wheeling and dealing [some probably questionable] to finance the war...
11-11-2012, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 11:30 PM by Gene C.)
In writing about Lincoln's cabinet selections, Benjamin Thomas wrote in his book - Abraham Lincoln,
"Next on Lincoln's list came Salmon P. Chase. Tall, erect, with a finely shaped head and level blue eyes that lent a certain majesty to his appearance, Chase's sterling honesty qualified him for the Treasury. Touchy, ambitious, unbending, he was a leader of the antislavery radicals." (chpt. 12 Peace or a Sword, p.233)

(I had not read this far in the book when I posted the question)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Chase brings to mind Churchill's remark about Montgomery--- "indomitable in defeat,insufferable in victory"
Tom
11-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Chase is certainly one of the less studied of the war cabinet. Either because he was less controversial, or just plain boring. He seems to be notable for three things: 1) financing the war effort, 2) father of Kate, 3) being on the $10,000 bill.
11-20-2012, 03:09 PM
(11-13-2012 08:37 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  Chase is certainly one of the less studied of the war cabinet. Either because he was less controversial, or just plain boring. He seems to be notable for three things: 1) financing the war effort, 2) father of Kate, 3) being on the $10,000 bill.
I never noticed him on the $10,000 dollar bill before. I'll have to check my wallet when I get home.