Richard Nelson Current
10-31-2012, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 12:12 PM by Rob Wick.)
Richard Nelson Current
Richard Nelson Current, one of the "names" in Lincoln scholarship, died at 100 on October 26. Current finished the fourth volume of James G. Randall's Lincoln the President.

Here is an article on Current on his 99th birthday.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2012, 01:42 PM
RE: Richard Nelson Current
Rob: glad you brought his death to our attention. I didn't know he had passed. He was one of the "giants" in the Lincoln field of study. What was it for me-The Lincoln Nobody Knows-that first introduced me to him? I think it was. I still recommend that book to those who are not familiar with it.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-31-2012, 01:52 PM
RE: Richard Nelson Current
Rob, thanks for posting this thread. Here is the notice from the Lincoln Forum:

DEAN OF LINCOLN SCHOLARS RICHARD NELSON CURRENT DIES AT AGE 100

The Executive Committee of The Lincoln Forum announces with profound sadness--along with great gratitude for a long life well lived--the passing of a founding member, peerless mentor, and major inspiration. The long-reigning "dean of Lincoln scholars"--a title he deservedly held for decades--Richard Nelson Current, died in Massachusetts on Friday, October 26, twelve days after his 100th birthday.

Richard Current, born October 5, 1912 in Colorado City (now a part of Colorado Springs), CO, earned his BA from Oberlin, his MA from The Fletcher School of Diplomacy at Tufts, and his PhD from the University of Wisconsin. Over a long and distinguished career in academia, he taught at Rutgers, Hamilton College, Northern Michigan University Lawrence University, the University of Illinois, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and the University of Wisconsin. He also served as a Harmsworth Professor of History at Oxford and a Fulbright Lecturer. As most members know, for 17 years the Forum's annual award of achievement has borne his name--a sign of our respect, affection, and gratitude for his original and steadfast support of our organization. Though too frail in recent years to attend our annual symposia, his presence remained keenly felt--and we will continue to strive to live up to his example of great scholarship and great friendship.

Among Richard Current's many seminal works on Lincoln were: The Lincoln Nobody Knows and Lincoln and the First Shot. He completed J. G. Randall's multi-volume Lincoln biography with the magisterial Lincoln the Man: Last Full Measure, which won the coveted Bancroft Prize. He also won a Logan Hay Medal from the Abraham Lincoln Association and a lifetime achievement Lincoln Prize. His other books included Speaking of Abraham Lincoln, Lincoln's Loyalists, Those Terrible Carpetbaggers and Loie Fuller: Goddess of Light--which he coauthored with his beloved wife, Marcia Ewing Current.

The Lincoln Forum family extends its sincerest condolences to our longtime dear friend, Marcia. Knowing that a genuine giant and dear friend has left us, we feel that we share her loss.
Find all posts by this user