How Weather Effected The Civl War
10-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Rainbow How Weather Effected The Civl War
With Hurricane Sandy on our minds.I thought,What Battle in The Civil War was greatly effected by the weather? After searching this on Google."The Mud March"for the Army of the Potomac keeps being mentioned.Thoughts-Anyone?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
RE: How Weather Effected The Civl War
What came to my mind was that General Grant pretty much fired General George Thomas for failure to take action over in Tennessee. The problem was there was a severe ice storm that made it impossible to move troops. Thomas did eventually did move-and Grant retained him.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2012, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 08:45 PM by Craig Hipkins.)
RE: How Weather Effected The Civl War
I can remember reading the following account back in 2006 when I was researching the 6th New Hampshire Regiment. It is taken from Lyman Jackman's History of the 6th New Hampshire published back in 1891. The regiment was marching toward Manassas Junction on August 25th when they encountered:
A fearful thunderstorm. We halted for the shower to pass over, with the ambulances and the baggage and ammunition wagons all around us. The drivers as usual, were sitting on the mules. Just as the rain began to hold up a little, there came a fearful flash of lightning, striking a negro who drove an ammunition wagon and knocking him and his mules all in a heap. The mules soon got upon their feet,shook themselves, and were all right again, but not so was it with the colored driver: he was found stone dead. Ever after that it was a saying with the boys, that "lightning could not kill a mule, for they had seen it tried."
A few days later, a third of the troops who witnessed that deadly bolt of lightning were killed at 2nd Manassas including my Grand uncle Cyrus Clapp.

Craig
Find all posts by this user