Spangler's Ghost Writer
10-15-2012, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2012 02:15 PM by John E..)
Smile Spangler's Ghost Writer
A review of Ned Spangler's letters from Dry Tortugas and his statements afterwards lead me to believe that Sam Arnold served as Spangler's ghost writer.

There is one letter riddled with misspellings while at least three others are written with proper grammar and spelling. --

During the time the conspirators were incarcerated at Dry Tortugas, it's apparent they formed bonds with each other. It's my guess that they traded services out of friendship and/or necessity. Spangler was quite good at his woodwork while Arnold was the talented wordsmith who served as a clerk.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter ? Could it be that Arnold taught Spangler to write more better ? (The last two word combo was a joke. I hope that wasn't lost on anyone. I am edumucated. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2012 06:11 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Spangler's Ghost Writer
I'm with you, John. I had heard that Spangler was lacking in schooling and that therefore his grammar was not as it should be.....it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that either Sam Arnold or Dr. Mudd served as his scribe..... and (I'm also supposed to be somewhat edumacated too.... HA!)

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Lucky for you two that I already explained our preference for forms of "edumacated!"

John, I think your premise is 99.9% accurate. I know that there has been some speculation by people on the Booth tours that the inlaid table and other items that were said to be made by Dr. Mudd while in prison may well have been made by Spangler, who was said to be a talented woodworker.
10-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Who was Spangler writing to? Did he have family?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-16-2012, 12:04 AM
(10-15-2012 11:18 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Who was Spangler writing to? Did he have family?

The recipients of the letters weren't identified in the newspaper articles. Spangler was a widower and had no children that I am aware of. I believe his wife died in 1858.
10-16-2012, 07:40 AM
The Mudd House has many example of Dr. Mudd's handywork and a couple examples of Edman Spangler's. Dr. Mudd seems to have been very prolific in his work, producing many fine pieces including the inlaid table, canes, cribbage boards (1 resides at the Mudd house, another at the Museum of the Confederacy) and other items. They are all fine pieces, exhibiting high attention to detail, and the hands of an artist.

Edman Spangler made two doll chairs for Mudd children. They are also at the Mudd House. They exhibit the work of a carpenter. A man familiar with making large things. They are simple, unadorned pieces. The handywork of a simple hard-working honest man. Straight forward and utilitarian.
10-16-2012, 08:34 AM
John E: that's what I thought. He may have been writing for "posterity" if he had no immediate family.

Bill Nash
10-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Here is a letter from Spangler written prior to arrival at Ft. Jefferson. It was published in the New York Times on September 3, 1865. My first image of Spangler as a person was formed in the 1960's when I read Jim Bishop's book, and I would never have guessed he could write this well. I do wonder if he had help.

--------------------------------------------------

A Letter from Spangler.

Published: September 3, 1865

From the Richmond Bulletin.

A letter has been received from SPANGLER by a gentleman in Washington, which was written while he was on his way to the Dry Tortugas. It is in pencil, and reads as follows:

ON BOARD STEAMER FLORIDA, BOUND TO THE ISLAND OF DRY TORTUGAS, Fla.

FRIEND: Still thinking of old times, and wishing I was seated in your saloon drinking a nice glass of whisky, instead of in this hot and sunny clime. The last drink I had was in your house, and you may put it down as a settled fact that it will be the last for six long years to come, and may be forever before I get another. You must not forget me now in my sunny home. When joy shall swell your heart, and the welkin is made to ring with the light and cheerful voices of yourself and my former companions, stop for a moment to cast a lingering but bright thought upon him who was life, all life, amidst you; wish him a companion of your festival, and I will feel happy in my exile -- banished, and in a burning clime -- Dry Tortugas, 1,300 miles from you. Extend your hospitality to the gentleman who brings this letter to you.

Good-bye. Sometimes think of me and my companions, though they are unknown to you personally.

EDAWARD SPANGLER.
10-16-2012, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2012 05:47 PM by LincolnMan.)
I wonder if the "friend" felt the same way toward Spangler. It probably was not easy (to say the least) to admit being a friend to one of the conspirators during that time.

Bill Nash
10-16-2012, 10:13 AM
The following image is a sample of a Spangler letter written in September of 1865 (Not the whole letter). As you can see, punctuation is non-existent and the spelling is atrocious. Compare this to what Roger posted and you can see the difference.

[undefined=undefined][Image: spanglerletter965.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
10-16-2012, 10:22 AM
(10-16-2012 08:46 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  You must not forget me now in my sunny home. When joy shall swell your heart, and the welkin is made to ring with the light and cheerful voices of yourself and my former companions, stop for a moment to cast a lingering but bright thought upon him who was life, all life, amidst you; wish him a companion of your festival, and I will feel happy in my exile -- banished, and in a burning clime --

I am impressed by the sentiments expressed compared to the newspaper copy letter John posted. More melodramatic, and not what I would expect from a stage hand carpenter. If Spangler wrote or even dictated this letter, it adds a personality to him that we don't see in his photograph.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-16-2012, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2012 10:32 AM by John E..)
(10-16-2012 10:22 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(10-16-2012 08:46 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  You must not forget me now in my sunny home. When joy shall swell your heart, and the welkin is made to ring with the light and cheerful voices of yourself and my former companions, stop for a moment to cast a lingering but bright thought upon him who was life, all life, amidst you; wish him a companion of your festival, and I will feel happy in my exile -- banished, and in a burning clime --

I am impressed by the sentiments expressed compared to the newspaper copy letter John posted. More melodramatic, and not what I would expect from a stage hand carpenter. If Spangler wrote or even dictated this letter, it adds a personality to him that we don't see in his photograph.

I'll bet $ 1000, the people in this forum who knew what "welkin" meant is less than 5. I certainly had to look it up. It means "sky" or "heavens" above. What are the chances the man who spelled "few" as "fieu" knew what 'welkin' meant ?

**** Just as a post script, I checked to see how both Arnold and Mudd spelled "O'Laughlin". They both spelled it the same way: O'Loughlin. Besides Arnold and his diary, Dr. Mudd seems to have been the most proficient writer. I would LOVE to find any of Mike O'Laughlin's letters home. He remains the true mystery man of the conspirators.

I'm not trying to give good ol' Spangler a hard time, just reinforcing my opinion. The more I've learned about Spangler, the more I like him.
10-16-2012, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2012 10:34 AM by Gene C.)
I didn't know what it meant... I thought it was a missprint or poor spelling for "welcome". You'll have to settle for a moon pie from me. Thanks for sharing and posting the newspaper article. New info I didn't know.

10-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Here is another of Spangler's letters. This one was in the New York Times on September 22, 1867:

[Image: spanglerletter67.jpg]
10-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Any idea who he was writing to?