If You Like a Good Mystery...
08-12-2019, 07:55 PM
If You Like a Good Mystery...
Try this one on for size: https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-most-my...ever-lived
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2019, 04:51 AM
RE: If You Like a Good Mystery...
Just curious…Michael (AussieMick), have you heard of this story?
08-13-2019, 07:30 PM
RE: If You Like a Good Mystery...
I hadnt heard of this fascinating case before!

There are quite a few information links on the internet dealing with this case, you can search using somerton man adelaide

this one below covers it in some detail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

in particular ...
"There has been persistent speculation that the dead man was a spy, due to the circumstances and historical context of his death.

At least two sites relatively close to Adelaide were of interest to spies: the Radium Hill uranium mine and the Woomera Test Range, an Anglo-Australian military research facility.

The man's death coincided with a reorganisation of Australian security agencies, which would culminate the following year with the founding of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO). This would be followed by a crackdown on Soviet espionage in Australia, which was revealed by intercepts of Soviet communications under the Venona project.

Another theory concerns Alf Boxall, who was reportedly involved in intelligence work during and immediately after World War II. In a 1978 television interview Stuart Littlemore asks: "Mr Boxall, you had been working, hadn't you, in an intelligence unit, before you met this young woman [Jessica Harkness]. Did you talk to her about that at all?" In reply, Boxall says "no", and when asked if Harkness could have known, Boxall replies "not unless somebody else told her." When Littlemore suggests in the interview that there may have been an espionage connection to the dead man in Adelaide, Boxall replies: "It's quite a melodramatic thesis, isn't it?"[44] Boxall's army service record suggests that he served initially in the 4th Water Transport Company, before being seconded to the North Australia Observer Unit (NAOU) – a special operations unit – and that during his time with NAOU, Boxall rose rapidly in rank, being promoted from Lance Corporal to Lieutenant within three months"

BTW Nov 30 and December 1 1948 of course would almost certainly have been hot days in Adelaide. Even back then I doubt that many men would have been wearing a tie.

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns