The Voice of Nettie Mudd
10-07-2012, 04:58 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 05:13 AM by RJNorton.)
The Voice of Nettie Mudd
Nettie Mudd made a special audio appearance on the Lux Radio Theater 1938. To hear what she said please go to Dave Taylor's site here.

[Image: 237156.jpg]
The Lux Radio Theatre from Old Time Radio website
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
RE: The Voice of Nettie Mudd
This is a wonderful recording! However, I love how she reiterates that is really "authentic" --

Just the other night, John Elliott and I were laughing at all the inconsistencies and errors in it!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I posted on Dave's site that my mother sat behind Nettie Mudd Monroe when The Prisoner of Shark Island premiered in D.C. Mom said she must have been finding things wrong with the film because she kept shaking her head. I would love to know what she disagreed with. That film could have one shaking one's head throughout the showing!
10-07-2012, 10:37 AM
When I first listened to it, I couldn't help but think that Nettie's voice sounded like Winnie the Pooh at times.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Very interesting stuff Dave!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:When I first listened to it, I couldn't help but think that Nettie's voice sounded like Winnie the Pooh at times.

That's hysterical, Dave! Now I'll tie Nettie Mudd in with Winnie the Pooh for the rest of eternity! HA! Big Grin

Pretty neat, Laurie!

So....she WASN'T as pleased as she seemed in the audio!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-07-2012, 02:52 PM
(10-07-2012 10:05 AM)L Verge Wrote:  I posted on Dave's site that my mother sat behind Nettie Mudd Monroe when The Prisoner of Shark Island premiered in D.C. Mom said she must have been finding things wrong with the film because she kept shaking her head. I would love to know what she disagreed with. That film could have one shaking one's head throughout the showing!

My family was treated to the Washington D.C. premier of "Patton" by his daughter Ruth Ellen Patton Totten. Unlike Nettie, Ruth Ellen was nodding throughout the movie. The Premier was ironically at the McArthur theater.Big Grin
10-07-2012, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 07:08 PM by BettyO.)
John Elliott sent me an on-line video of The Prisoner of Shark Island the other night. I have a DVD of the movie - but for those who have never seen it, here is a good way to view it....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh2n5l_...-island_tv

Also - check out John Elliott and Barry Cauchon's Behind the Walls Facebook page for the fantastic photographs which John took on his visit to Fort Jefferson at the Dry Tortugas!

10-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for posting the movie link. I've never seen it before. Now to go make some popcorn.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-08-2012, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 09:05 AM by RJNorton.)
During the 1990's my wife and I flew from Key West to Ft. Jefferson by seaplane. It was a beautiful flight, and we spent a few hours at the fort. The flight was real low over shallow water; visible were all kinds of sea creatures, old shipwrecks, etc. It was so long ago that I don't recall clearly if we had a guided tour or just wandered around on our own taking pictures, etc. One thing I do remember is that the seaplane fare was quite expensive. Also, the time at the fort was too short.

Now that John is safely back, I will mention a reason we have mixed emotions on that trip. Within a year or two after our trip, one of these same seaplane flights from Key West to Ft. Jefferson crashed killing five people including the pilot. As I recall all of the others were members of the same family. Seaplane flights were suspended for a time, and Ft. Jefferson could be accessed only by boat.
10-08-2012, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 02:21 PM by John E..)
(10-08-2012 09:04 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Now that John is safely back, I will mention a reason we have mixed emotions on that trip. Within a year or two after our trip, one of these same seaplane flights from Key West to Ft. Jefferson crashed killing five people including the pilot. As I recall all of the others were members of the same family. Seaplane flights were suspended for a time, and Ft. Jefferson could be accessed only by boat.

Hi All,

Roger, thanks for sparing my feelings regarding the trip to Ft. Jefferson and the plane crash. I was well aware of it before the trip and took the flight anyways.

I'm happy to report that the Seaplane company is completely different than the previous one that flew in the 90's. I asked our pilot about the crash and he said that the previous company had inadequate pilots and several other unfortunate incidents. None of them made headlines but word got out.

There is an option to spend 5 hrs on the island but it will cost you an extra $ 100. I opted for 2.5 hours and was able to take the pictures I wanted. However, the time seemed to race by.

It was a terrific trip and one that I won't forget. Studying this portion of the conspirators' incarceration has been a blast. As many folks have mentioned, Bob Summers' site is fantastic. He is a very nice man and happens to be the great grandson Dr. Mudd.
10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
About fifteen years ago, the Lincoln Group of D.C. had a speaker from the National Park Service at Ft. Jefferson speak on the history of the site and also about the isolation of living there even today. She had wonderful slides of the scenery - outstanding ones of sunsets and sunrises! She even brought with her samples of flora and fauna from the island. However, as lovely as it seemed, I would not want to be incarcerated there then or assigned there now. I think the isolation would do me in - even with the tourists traipsing around.
10-08-2012, 02:58 PM
(10-08-2012 02:47 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  About fifteen years ago, the Lincoln Group of D.C. had a speaker from the National Park Service at Ft. Jefferson speak on the history of the site and also about the isolation of living there even today. She had wonderful slides of the scenery - outstanding ones of sunsets and sunrises! She even brought with her samples of flora and fauna from the island. However, as lovely as it seemed, I would not want to be incarcerated there then or assigned there now. I think the isolation would do me in - even with the tourists traipsing around.

It's definitely isolated but you'll be happy to know they have satellite TV and internet access now. I spoke to two young ladies who worked in the gift shop and were there for a week. They said they did not venture out on the island at night because of the darkness.
10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
I would like to second John regarding Bob Summers' outstanding website. Kudos, Bob, on all the work you have done!
10-08-2012, 10:56 PM
(10-08-2012 04:25 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I would like to second John regarding Bob Summers' outstanding website. Kudos, Bob, on all the work you have done!

Thanks Roger. Much appreciated. The entire Lux Radio Theater recording of the Prisoner of Shark Island, including Nettie's commentary, can be heard at http://www.samuelmudd.com/prison-life.html

It's unfortunate that The Prisoner of Shark Island movie/radio show was ever performed, since it is close to 99% historically inaccurate. An accurate account of Dr. Mudd's incarceration at Fort Jefferson, including his work during the yellow fever epidemic, would make a much better movie. Perhaps that movie will yet be made.