Mary J. Gardiner
10-04-2012, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2012 08:36 AM by BettyO.)
Mary J. Gardiner
Found this in the Springfield Daily Republican, dated April 20, 1865 -

"A bitter southern woman (my emphasis), supposed to be the Mary J. Gardiner referred to on the card found in the bloody coat Bunker Hill, is one of the persons arrested."

Granted, this was only a few days after Powell was arrested. One wonders if this is one of the Gardiner sisters who were dance hall girls at the Canterbury and Metropolitan Music Halls. Supposedly a Lieutenant Vanderpoel saw these women dancing at the Canterbury at the same time that he spied four men whom he supposed were Powell, Booth, Herold and Atzerodt. He gave this testimony at the 1867 Surratt Trial. One also wonders if perhaps that this could be the "southern widow woman" who was supposedly Seward's neighbor.

I'm going to dig deeper into this -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2012, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2012 08:38 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Mary J. Gardiner
(10-04-2012 07:09 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Found this in the Springfield Daily Republican, dated April 20, 1865 -

"A bitter southern woman (my emphasis), supposed to be the Mary J. Gardiner referred to on the card found in the bloody coat Bunker Hill, is one of the persons arrested."

Granted, this was only a few days after Powell was arrested. One wonders if this is one of the Gardiner sisters who were dance hall girls at the Canterbury and Metropolitan Music Halls. Supposedly a Lieutenant Vanderpoel saw these women dancing at the Canterbury at the same time that he spied four men whom he supposed were Powell, Booth, Herold and Atzerodt. He gave this testimony at the 1867 Surratt Trial. One also wonders if perhaps that this could be the "southern widow woman" who was supposedly Seward's neighbor.

(10-04-2012 07:09 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Found this in the Springfield Daily Republican, dated April 20, 1865 -

I'm also wondering if there are any photographs of the Canterbury. I only know of one which exists (in Stanley Kimmel's Mr. Lincoln's Washington) and that one is, I think, of the Metropolitan Music Hall.

Anyone know?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Let me check with our D.C. expert, Joan Chaconas. For some reason I think I have seen a sketch of the Canterbury. Why not check in with John at streetsofwashington.com?
10-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks, Laurie!

Please DO let me know regarding the photo/litho from Joan and I'll contact John!

10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
(10-04-2012 07:09 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Supposedly a Lieutenant Vanderpoel saw these women dancing at the Canterbury at the same time that he spied four men whom he supposed were Powell, Booth, Herold and Atzerodt. He gave this testimony at the 1867 Surratt Trial.

If that's what Lt. Vanderpoel remembers after two years, he's either an odd duck, or the show wasn't very good.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-05-2012, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 06:56 PM by RJNorton.)
I posted this in the trivia section recently, but he's the same gentleman who gave this testimony at the Surratt trial:

---------------------------------------

Richard Merrick: Do you recollect that woman's face you saw dancing?

Benjamin W. Vanderpoel: I did not pay much attention to her face; I paid much more attention to her legs.

Richard Merrick: Do you think you would recognize them if you were to see them?

Benjamin W. Vanderpoel: I do not think I would.

-----------------------------------------

At this point court was adjourned for the day...
10-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking that these ladies dancing were the Garner sisters who were playing at the Canterbury at the time of the assassination.

10-11-2012, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 02:31 AM by MaddieM.)
(10-05-2012 06:01 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I posted this in the trivia section recently, but he's the same gentleman who gave this testimony at the Surratt trial:

---------------------------------------

Richard Merrick: Do you recollect that woman's face you saw dancing?

Benjamin W. Vanderpoel: I did not pay much attention to her face; I paid much more attention to her legs.

Richard Merrick: Do you think you would recognize them if you were to see them?

Benjamin W. Vanderpoel: I do not think I would.

-----------------------------------------

At this point court was adjourned for the day...

I'm curious as to just how much leg was on show? In those days, the sight of an ankle must have driven the fella's wild. [Image: w00t.png]

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
10-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Indeed, Maddie! We have some experts on this forum on 19th century fashion. What did the dancing girls wear?
10-11-2012, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 07:45 AM by BettyO.)
Maddie -

Dancing girls (or dance hall girls such as Mary Gardiner) wore pretty risque costumes in which a great deal of leg was shown for the time - low cut dresses up to or just over the knee, with small crinolines underneath, flesh colored tights (extremely scandalous!) and either small boots or ballet slippers.

These outfits were pretty much like a ballet costume or tutu and were usually made of muslin, tulle or silk; any light, airy material. They also sometimes had "spangles"; i.e. small metal "sequins." "Dance hall" or similar theatrical costumes in the 1840s, 1850s and 1860s were considered extremely scandalous and were pretty much popularized by Lola Montez, an 1840s courtesan and dancer who was popular in American dance halls of that time period. She had been extremely famous in Europe and went "on tour" in the US - needless to say, most Dance Hall girls had a pretty rough reputation.

[Image: tumblrm4zonmfqx31qfet8c.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[Image: spiderdancer.jpg]

[Image: 370pg.jpg]

[Image: corbisbe036001.jpg]

10-11-2012, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 07:33 AM by Gene C.)
(10-11-2012 06:44 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Dancing girls (or dance hall girls such as Mary Gardiner) wore pretty risque costumes in which a great deal of leg was shown for the time - low cut dresses up to or just over the knee,

Wow... shield my eyes!Cool

"This is shocking, this is scandelous! But, I'll have to see more before I can offer an unbiased opinion."

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Lola Montez is buried close (within view) to Laura Keene in the sprawling Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY.
10-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Really?! Wow - thanks, Rich! I would have thought that she was buried in Europe -

10-11-2012, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 11:13 AM by BettyO.)
Thanks to Surratt House (i.e. Laurie, Joan) for this image of the Canterbury Music Hall circa 1865 - apparently it was near a market place - or stabling area; perhaps for military horses and livestock? Notice all the hay bale loaded wagons!!

[Image: canterburymusichall1865.jpg]

10-11-2012, 11:19 AM
This is a wonderful photo. I am ready to go see the girls dance even if Gene is not!