Dramatic Oil Company
10-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Dramatic Oil Company
One of the last things Ida Tarbell tried to publish was a story about John Wilkes Booth and the Dramatic Oil Company which he formed along with John Ellsler and Thomas Mears. Tarbell collected information about it throughout the years and wrote to George S. Bryan among others, trying to find out information. I know that Ed Steers and Mike Kauffman mention it in their books, but not in great detail. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any book-length treatments or anyone who is currently researching this question? Of course, I've got Tarbell's material which will form the nucleus of what will be a chapter of its own, but I would like to see what others might have turned up or what others might say.

By the way, Tarbell's article "A Neglected Episode in the History of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln" appears to have been rejected by the New York Times in 1941. By this point, Tarbell was well past her prime and in three years, would die at the age of 86. Her papers show that article, plus two others, both of which total 80 pages on Booth. She was also interested in whether or not it was Booth who scratched "Abe Lincoln Departed This Life August 13th, 1864 By The Effects of Poison" in a window at the McHenry House in Meadville, Penn., where Allegheny College is located, which was Tarbell's alma mater.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 10:30 AM
RE: Dramatic Oil Company
I've always wondered about the message left at the window of McHenry House. Was Booth ever in the area?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2012, 10:37 AM
He was, but not at the time the message was scratched.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
10-02-2012, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 10:44 AM by RJNorton.)
Bill, if you have Roy Chamlee's book on the assassination, go to p. 395. The author explains how a man admitted that he and a friend were in that room and were responsible for this.

[Image: windowpane.jpg]
10-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Ernest C. Miller wrote John Wilkes Booth in the Pennsylvania Oil Region a number of years ago, and I believe that Surratt House still carries it. Mr. Miller's papers were given to the Drake Well Museum, I believe.
10-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Rob,

The short book, John Wilkes Booth - Oilman by Ernest Miller might be helpful to you.
10-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Laurie and Dave,

Thanks! Laurie, let me know if it does and I'll order it from you.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
10-02-2012, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 07:29 PM by Gene C.)
Laurie, please let me know too!

(10-02-2012 10:23 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  One of the last things Ida Tarbell tried to publish was a story about John Wilkes Booth and the Dramatic Oil Company which he formed along with John Ellsler and Thomas Mears.

By the way, Tarbell's article "A Neglected Episode in the History of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln" appears to have been rejected by the New York Times in 1941. By this point, Tarbell was well past her prime and in three years, would die at the age of 86. Her papers show that article, plus two others, both of which total 80 pages on Booth.

Is any of this on line?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Roger, I don't have that book. Thanks for the referral!

Bill Nash
10-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:Is any of this on line?

Gene,

Not yet. The last time I talked with the librarian in charge of Tarbell's papers, she told me it wouldn't be until sometime next year before they would get her writings online. They haven't said a particular date...just next year.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2012, 09:11 AM
In going through the web, I found a copy of Miller's book available on the Internet Archive. Here is the link.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks...it was over $50 on Amazon. I owe you a Moon Pie.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Cool! I love Moon Pies (chocolate though, not banana).

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I am not sure that this is the same book that you found online, but we have one copy of the hardback, John Wilkes Booth in the Pennsylvania Oil Region, still available at Surratt House. This is a 1987 revised and expanded volume of Miller's first monograph in 1945. Our price is $35 plus $3 postage.

Mr. Miller is deceased, and the book is no longer in print or available on anything but the secondary market. Contact me if interested in this one copy.
10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info Laurie. I think for what I need it for, the book I found online will suffice.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg