Booth and the U.S. Navy
09-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Booth and the U.S. Navy
Some long time ago, I read an order that Gideon Wells had sent to his
underlings - the Navy -, and ordered them NOT TO SEARCH for Booth, right after the assassination. He said "this was the Army's job, now let them do their work." The document that I read had been sent to a small Navy Unit, in Maryland, on the west side of the Chesapeake. Has any one seen this order? (I can't find my copy - since I have moved.)
I wonder if there is a story here. Either before or after he gave this order. His wording sounds like he was in a "huff", at somebody.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2018, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2018 05:22 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Booth and the U.S. Navy
If he was in a "huff" with anyone, it would have been Stanton.
I don't know much about Gideon Welles but,
I can picture him not taking the lead over the army (and Stanton) in searching, but to tell them NOT TO SEARCH seems a bit uncharacteristic for him.

That's interesting.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-11-2018, 05:26 PM
John, I found this order from Gideon Welles:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NAVY DEPARTMENT,

Washington, D. C., April 22, 1865 - 9 p. m.

Lieutenant-Commander EASTMAN, U. S. Navy,

U. S. Steamer Don, Saint Indigoes, Md.:

Booth was near Bryantown last Saturday, where Doctor Mudd set his ankle, which was broken by a fall from his horse. The utmost vigilance is necessary in the Potomac and Patuxent to prevent his escape. All boats should be searched for and destroyed, and a daily and nightly patrol established on both shores. Inform the people that more than $100,000 is offered for him. Allow none of your boats to leave, except for search elsewhere.

GIDEON WELLES.
09-11-2018, 08:45 PM
A much talked about subject I know——but the memo mentions that Booth was hurt from a fall from his horse. How would Welles know that? Why would he assume that when it would have been more plausible that Booth was injured from the stage jump (that the theatergoers witnessed). No one saw him fall from his horse that could have informed Welles of that, right? Or no?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2018, 01:14 AM
I feel certain that Welles would have issued his "don't search" message long before April 22 ( The date of his message), So, I'll take the order as confirmation that he cancelled his original message.
I looked in the log book of the "Don" ( where the Welles' message was sent) but there is no mention of that order. The logbooks are tended by Non-Coms, who most likely never saw Welles' message. In my experience as a Signalman, I NEVER go a message from Washington on the "Blinker".
I'll hunt in my "junk" to see if I have copy of the Welles msg.

Lincoln Man- I am surprised that Welles even knew Booth was hurt. Any "news" on Booth must have been circulated, widely.

Thanks for your input, Roger.
09-12-2018, 05:07 AM
Bill, in a 1990 article in Blue & Gray magazine, Mike Kauffman writes, "During his escape Booth told about a dozen people he had broken his leg when his horse stumbled and fell on him." Possibly by April 22 Gideon Welles was aware of what Booth had told one or more of these people?

John, here is a link to where I found the order I posted.

https://books.google.com/books?id=y1lKAQ...22&f=false
09-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Booth told Dr. Mudd that the leg was broken via his horse falling. Mudd was interrogated by the authorities, who certainly reported to their superiors. So, the broken leg story would be rather public knowledge in the upper levels soon after Mudd's statement reached Washington.
09-12-2018, 10:35 AM
(09-11-2018 08:45 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  A much talked about subject I know——but the memo mentions that Booth was hurt from a fall from his horse. How would Welles know that? Why would he assume that when it would have been more plausible that Booth was injured from the stage jump (that the theatergoers witnessed). No one saw him fall from his horse that could have informed Welles of that, right? Or no?

Bill:

My view is that Booth decided early in his escape that he would use the fall from the horse as a cover story for his broken leg, which, of course, he counselled Herold to use too, though it is, of course, possible, that he really did fall from his horse and thereby aggravated the injury he received on stage. After all, he could not very well tell all the people he would have contact with during his and Herold's escape that he had broken it when he fell to the stage after assassinating the President of the United States. We know that Herold gave the cover story to John Lloyd. Inasmuch as Welles's letter is dated a week after Booth and Herold met with Lloyd, it seems quite probable and reasonable that the cover story came to Welles, indirectly, from Lloyd. Most assassination historians agree with this. Only two major ones dissent. The subject is covered in great detail in Chapter 22 of Decapitating the Union.

John
09-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Excellent response John. Agree totally.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user