Bike Lincoln's Commute this Saturday
08-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Bike Lincoln's Commute this Saturday
"For most Washingtonians, commuting to work is a dreaded part of every day, but for Abraham Lincoln it was something he cherished. During the summers of his presidency, Lincoln and his family lived in a Cottage on a green hillside in Northwest Washington. The Soldier's Home offered a "healthier" climate three miles north of the White House (and well outside the city at that time). Lincoln would commute each day by horse or by carriage to his office in the White House.

While some of the route was on a dirt road or through rural parts of the city, it also gave him a chance to see first-hand the effects of the Civil War. He passed hospitals where he spoke with wounded soldiers, he traveled by contraband camps of formerly enslaved men, women, and children. Walt Whitman, working as a nurse, spotted Lincoln almost every day as he trotted down Vermont Avenue.

Join President Lincoln's Cottage and the DC Cycling Concierge on Saturday, August 25th, as we recreate Lincoln's three-mile commute by bike from his Cottage in Petworth to the White House.

The day will start at 10am with an hour-long tour of the Cottage (140 Rock Creek Church Rd), followed by a guided cycling tour, retracing Lincoln's commute. The tour will stop at places of note for bits of history, concluding at the White House.

Join us in discovering the untold stories and history of what some scholars call the nation's "first commuter," Abraham Lincoln. SIGN UP NOW

This event is happening rain or shine. For more information and FAQ visit
http://www.lincolncottage.org

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/biking-linc...9186342675

Questions? Email jphillips@lincolncottage.org
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2018, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2018 03:29 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Bike Lincoln's Commute this Saturday
MY KIND of thing to do and sightsee!!! I would love that!!
08-20-2018, 02:23 PM
(08-20-2018 01:26 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  MY KIND of thing to do and sightsee!!! I would love that!!

Eva, you‘d love it! The cottage sits way above the city and has a wonderful view.
when I visited, I took the train for some part and hiked the rest..it was lovely and fun. The neighborhood is beautiful!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
08-20-2018, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 05:23 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thanks, Angela - I visited the cottage and loved it, but my memories of the neighborhood are just vague due to going by car. Following the "route" by bike would have been the cherry on the top...I love any exploring by bike.
08-23-2018, 06:05 AM
Sounds absolutely wonderful!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user