08-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Another Pricey Item Up For Auction
Start raiding your bank accounts:

https://news.justcollecting.com/abraham-...-archives/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2018, 08:41 AM
RE: Another Pricey Item Up For Auction
It’s not small in size like I thought it might be—ten inches long. I have mixed emotions about these blood relics. Somehow I thought they are too personal to be on the market for the highest bitter-the man’s blood is on it for goodness sake.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2018, 09:03 AM
(08-07-2018 08:41 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I have mixed emotions about these blood relics.

Bill, this is why I was surprised to learn that a piece of Laura Keene's dress, allegedly stained with Lincoln's blood, was once apparently displayed in a wall hanging in the Lincoln Home in Springfield.

http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...2#pid71358
08-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Everyone must be cleaning house early! The first I knew of this was today when Civil War News arrived and a full page ad announced an upcoming auction at the Swann Galleries in New York slated for September 27. The items will appear under the Printed & Manuscript Americana division, but here's what made my head snap to attention. "Featuring The Harold Holzer Collection of Lincolniana." We all know that prestigious name of "Harold Holzer."

The centerpiece of the ad is a framed portrait of Mr. Lincoln (sans beard) and identified as "Portrait of the beardless Lincoln as he appeared in June 1860 attributed to John C. Wolfe, oil on board, ... Estimate $12,000 to $18,000.

I can see y'all reaching for your checkbooks now! I am now going to check to see if the full catalog is online.
08-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Is this on Heritage Auctions? What is the URL?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-15-2018, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 10:49 AM by L Verge.)
(08-15-2018 07:24 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Is this on Heritage Auctions? What is the URL?

Google Swann Galleries. As of yesterday, they had not posted the full catalog. It will be listed under Prints and Manuscripts Americana. The same oil painting of Lincoln ca. 1860 that appeared in the Civil War News is posted on the site also. Roger may know how to transfer the painting image to this thread.
08-15-2018, 01:39 PM
(08-15-2018 10:45 AM)L Verge Wrote:  
(08-15-2018 07:24 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Is this on Heritage Auctions? What is the URL?

Google Swann Galleries. As of yesterday, they had not posted the full catalog. It will be listed under Prints and Manuscripts Americana. The same oil painting of Lincoln ca. 1860 that appeared in the Civil War News is posted on the site also. Roger may know how to transfer the painting image to this thread.

Here it is:

https://www.swanngalleries.com/news/wp-c...532-56.jpg
08-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Can't say that's one of my favorite paintings of Lincoln, plus the frame is seriously cracked.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-15-2018, 06:59 PM
I don't remember ever seeing that particular painting of Lincoln. The painting itself needs cleaning, I think, and the frame needs restoration work also. However, the fact that it is an image of Lincoln and that it comes from the Holzer collection will definitely get it a good price, I suspect.