French Academy poem on the death of Lincoln
09-27-2012, 11:15 AM
French Academy poem on the death of Lincoln
Found a letter in Tarbell's papers in which she was asked if she knew where the writer could find a poem written after the assassination of Lincoln. The poem was entered in a contest sponsored by the French Academy for the best poem on Lincoln's death. The contest was won by Edouard Greneier and the poem was called "The Death of President Lincoln." I've never been a big fan of poetry, and I'm certainly no literary critic, so I'm not sure if it could be considered good or not.

I had never heard of this before. Anyone familiar with it? Here's the poem.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2012, 06:22 PM
RE: French Academy poem on the death of Lincoln
The French text of this poem can be found on the French version of Google. It is written in a rime form very popular in French poetry during the 19th century, called "alexandrin." in which each line consists of twelve equally accented syllables. But, I won't bore you with anymore such mundane stuff. It is interesting that the French Academy came up with such a contest. It shows that Lincoln's death was felt far beyond our borders.
09-27-2012, 07:18 PM
There are volumes of diplomatic letters and speeches from foreign dignitaries around the world that were sent in remembrance of Lincoln after the assassination.
09-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for calling it to our attention Rob. It was a long read-or maybe I needed more coffee. Like you, I'm no judge of poetry-seemed "over-the-top" for my unschooled 2012 ears. However, I'm sure it represented the era of its day.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I wonder, as Rogerm pointed out, if reading it in French might make a difference in how one interprets it. Of course, I can't speak French, so I don't know.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-28-2012, 01:05 PM
That could be possible from what I know. I don't speak French either. I had a year of it in high school...do you think I remember any of it?

Bill Nash
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
I minored in it in college (along with English) and don't remember any of it now, either.
09-28-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm glad to hear not just me!

Bill Nash