Robert Lincoln's burial site
09-26-2012, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2012 06:41 PM by RJNorton.)
Robert Lincoln's burial site
Hi All,

I'm new here and this is only my second post, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the reason why Robert Lincoln is buried in Arlington National Cemetery and not Springfield with the rest of his family. I've read that his wife wanted him to be remembered for his own accomplishments and not just as the son of the much revered president. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. I've learned so much already.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2012, 06:29 PM
RE: Robert Lincoln's burial site
That is the reason that I have always heard, and I believe that Jason Emerson's work on RTL confirms it.
09-26-2012, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2012 06:50 PM by RJNorton.)
That is correct. After many years of mystery, the reasons why Robert was buried in Arlington rather than the Lincoln Tomb were revealed in an excellent article in the Summer 1998 edition of Lincoln Lore. Using a previously unknown letter held in a private collection as their source, authors Gerald D. Swick and our own Donna McCreary revealed that it was Mary Harlan Lincoln's sole decision to have Robert interred at Arlington. In a letter to Katherine Helm, Robert's cousin, Mary wrote that she felt Robert "was a personage, made his own history, independently (underlined 5 times) of his great father, and should have his own place 'in the sun'!" In the words of Gerald and Donna, Mary therefore made the decision "to give her husband the honor she felt he deserved."

If Donna sees this thread she may want to comment further.
09-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Thank you for confirming this for meSmile
09-27-2012, 01:24 AM
In addition to what Roger stated above, I will add that the choice to bury Robert in Arlington was made several weeks after his death. Telegrams sent to family members reporting Robert's death also stated "Services here on Wednesday deferring interrment at Springfield until Autumn."
When Mary H. Lincoln wrote to Katherine Helm, she began the letter by saying: "You will, I know, be surprised at what I am going to tell you - A thought came to me, by inspiration, on the night of the 11th of August." By the time this letter was written, Mary had a plan. She was planning to find a 'suitable tomb' with burial the following spring. These plans were to remain private, with only the immediate family members knowing details. In her next letter, Mary wrote of selecting the site at Arlington and of visiting the War Department to make final arrangments. After arrangments were made and permission was granted, Mary H. Lincoln made it her task to have their son, Abraham Lincoln (Jack) removed from the Lincoln Tomb and buried alongside his father.
These were not Robert's wishes. Robert had taken great measures to ensure a burial places for himself and his family within the Lincoln Tomb. I often imagine that when Mary H. Lincoln died, she was met by Robert who scornfully said, "Now Mary, about Arlington . . . "
09-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Also remember that the RTL family always maintained very close ties to Washington. The RTL house at the corner of 30th and N streets NW, in Georgetown is one of the most magnificent homes in an area of Washington (Georgetown) known for magnificent homes (3014 N St. N.W.) It is currently owned by Ben Bradlee (retired editor of the Washington Post),and his wife, Sally Quinn. If I'm correct, the house stayed in the family for the following 2 generations. Mrs. Charles Isham (RTL's daughter) lived here during the 1930's when she donated the "contents of Lincoln's pockets) to the Library of Congress.

The RTL house is within just a few miles of Arlington.
09-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Here is a description of the home which was owned by RTL and family:

"The house is tripartite, with a central block set between eastern and western wings. As it stands today, the house is Colonial Revival in design, with red brick, arched windows on the first floor, and a course or line of horizontal brownstone breaking up the facade."

Images I have seen do not match this sketch. The home is also called the "Laird-Dunlop House" and a quick google search will reveal many photos.
09-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Thank you, Donna. I took it down as it's obviously the wrong house.
09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Definitely Google and take the online tour that Sally Quinn, the owner, gives. The house will make you drool. When you finish, Google Porto Bello, St. Mary's County Maryland, and read the article about she and husband, Ben Bradlee, saving and restoring this 1700s home. It is even more charming, and the view down there is gorgeous. Ah, what money can do...

P.S. I need to check the history on Porto Bello, but I believe that it is somehow related to Capt. John Hebb, who was on a spy mission with Walter (Wat) Bowie into Washington when they were surprised and killed by the Feds. There is a story there somewhere.
09-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi Roger:
The house you had up is across the street, across N St. It belonged to a friend's mother, Mary Gore Dean. She was a great person. Her husband, my friend's father was killed in a plane crash in 1958. He was an attorney for the Nuremberg trials and I believe the first chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission. She never remarried. Her father was millionaire H. Grady Gore (1st cousin to Al Sr). This side of the Gore family were/are all Republicans.

In later years, Mary took in former Atty Gen. John Mitchell after he was released from prison and Martha had died. The Deans are great people. If it weren't for Mary's cousin Al, we would have the internet.
09-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Looks like it's up for sale now: link
09-29-2012, 10:14 PM
That $9,000,000.00 just for the coach house! Not Ben and Sally's digs.

I would be interested, but I'm fresh out of coaches.
09-30-2012, 09:47 AM
You'd think for $9 mil, they would throw one in.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg