Arnold, Spangler and Mudd Habeas Petitions to the Supreme Court, 1869
01-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Arnold, Spangler and Mudd Habeas Petitions to the Supreme Court, 1869
Does anyone happen to have copies of the habeas petitions that Arnold, Mudd and Spangler filed directly with the Supreme Court in 1869 after Judge Boynton in Florida rejected their petitions? They were docketed as Original Cases Nos. 12-14 on the Court's calendar, and oral argument was heard on behalf of Arnold and Spangler, but the cases of course mooted out before any decision because of the pardons. (Reports of the petitions and/or proceedings might be in the New York Tribune of Feb. 10 and 13, 1869.) I'd also be interested in any Court documents related to the proceedings.

Thanks very much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2018, 10:33 AM
RE: Arnold, Spangler and Mudd Habeas Petitions to the Supreme Court, 1869
Marty - I am forwarding your question to the librarian at the James O. Hall Research Center at Surratt House Museum. I'm sure that there is information on this in the Hall files here. Please follow up with your own email to her so that she can communicate directly with you as to what we have and what the cost would be to obtain copies. colleen.puterbaugh@pgparks.com
01-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Will Colleen be in today? I was thinking of coming by to ask about that and a smattering of other things. Thanks
01-19-2018, 02:35 PM
(01-19-2018 11:35 AM)Marty L. Wrote:  Will Colleen be in today? I was thinking of coming by to ask about that and a smattering of other things. Thanks

She is here, but we generally ask folks to make appointments first so that materials can be gathered before the visit. Call 301-868-6185. Her hours are generally Tuesdays-Fridays from 10 am to 4 pm. I can tell you that we have a huge program in that building this coming Tuesday, so that will not be a good day to visit.