Did Democrats "Boycott" 1865 Inauguration?
01-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Did Democrats "Boycott" 1865 Inauguration?
I am seeing claims that Democrats boycotted Lincoln's second inauguration. For example:

Quote:In Lincoln’s second inauguration in 1865, more states joined the Confederate fight, adding to the number of Democrats hostile to Lincoln’s ideology to reconstruct the political and economic system. Still locked in a bloody Civil War, Southern state Democrats stayed away from Lincoln’s swearing-in ceremony.

I suppose the reference to "Southern" state Democrats must be to those from Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and (possibly) Missouri.

Does anybody have any information about that? Or, can anyone refer me to a reliable source? Thanks.

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2018, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2018 07:17 PM by AussieMick.)
RE: Did Democrats "Boycott" 1865 Inauguration?
(01-18-2018 11:49 AM)ELCore Wrote:  I am seeing claims that Democrats boycotted Lincoln's second inauguration. For example:

Quote:In Lincoln’s second inauguration in 1865, more states joined the Confederate fight, adding to the number of Democrats hostile to Lincoln’s ideology to reconstruct the political and economic system. Still locked in a bloody Civil War, Southern state Democrats stayed away from Lincoln’s swearing-in ceremony.

I suppose the reference to "Southern" state Democrats must be to those from Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and (possibly) Missouri.

Does anybody have any information about that? Or, can anyone refer me to a reliable source? Thanks.

Hi, I read the article Fact Checking? . I'd suggest that its a rather loosely-worded one. What does 'more states joined the Confederate fight' mean? A young student would probably infer that those states you mentioned formally joined with the CSA and began sending soldiers to fight the North.
Find all posts by this user
01-18-2018, 08:02 PM
RE: Did Democrats "Boycott" 1865 Inauguration?
(01-18-2018 07:12 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Hi, I read the article Fact Checking? . I'd suggest that its a rather loosely-worded one. What does 'more states joined the Confederate fight' mean? A young student would probably infer that those states you mentioned formally joined with the CSA and began sending soldiers to fight the North.

Let me just say it's not an article to which I would refer anybody as a reliable source of information. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user