Irma
09-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Irma
Given Roger's residence in Florida, may I propose we lighten up on posting for a few days? Let's give him and Vicki time to take care of themselves first.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2017, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 05:06 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Irma
So scaring - I just pray all of you and yours over there and your property are safe and remain unharmed!

PS: As for the proposition - I think we should hold back on posting any "political-and-similar-opinion-posts", y'all know which kind I mean. (I would however appreciate to "stay in touch".)
09-08-2017, 05:08 AM
I have received numerous emails and phone calls from forum members over the past few days, and I thank you all. Vicki and I have decided to ride it out and not go to a shelter or evacuate. The development we live in lost power for 2 weeks when Hurricane Charley came through in 2004; no matter what the exact track Irma takes it's likely I will disappear from the forum for awhile as my only access to the Internet is through an ordinary computer that needs power to operate. The forum itself will remain operational as the server where the forum resides is in Houston (the server was not effected by Hurricane Harvey).

People can continue posting, but I won't be available to post photos or information folks send me.

Thanks, everyone, for your support and understanding during a highly stressful time in our lives.
09-08-2017, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 07:24 PM by Steve.)
I'm sorry to hear that you live in the storm's path. Good luck, stay safe, and hopefully all of you will be spared the worst.
09-08-2017, 06:46 PM
(09-08-2017 05:08 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I have received numerous emails and phone calls from forum members over the past few days, and I thank you all. Vicki and I have decided to ride it out and not go to a shelter or evacuate. The development we live in lost power for 2 weeks when Hurricane Charley came through in 2004; no matter what the exact track Irma takes it's likely I will disappear from the forum for awhile as my only access to the Internet is through an ordinary computer that needs power to operate. The forum itself will remain operational as the server where the forum resides is in Houston (the server was not effected by Hurricane Harvey).

People can continue posting, but I won't be available to post photos or information folks send me.

Thanks, everyone, for your support and understanding during a highly stressful time in our lives.

Stay safe Roger. You and Vicki are in my thoughts.
09-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Been thinking about you all day, Roger....May you, Viki and Addie stay safe!!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-10-2017, 07:18 AM
You are in our prayers.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Just heard from Roger about a half-hour ago. They still have power, but the situation looks very dangerous. Their cat has been hiding under the bed since yesterday. Everyone please pray very hard for their safety.
09-10-2017, 07:44 AM
It's amazing what happens during a storm like this. Yesterday I received some emails from folks I had not seen in a long time. The most surprising to me came from the former gym teacher at the school where I taught. He left the teaching profession in 1980; I have not seen him in 37 years. Somehow he found me.

Sadly, right now I cannot see the
Edison and Ford Winter Estates
surviving this. It is located in Zone A of Lee County which is subject to a potential 15 ft. storm surge. (Zones A and B in Lee County are under mandatory evacuation; we live in Zone C.)

Also, I worry the Ernest Hemingway Home on Key West may not survive despite being on higher ground. Its chances for survival may actually be better than those of the Edison home.
09-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Prayers over here for the three of you, too! So unimaginable on a bright autumn day. It would be terrible if those beautiful two historic sites would get lost. But the most important is you all get through this unharmed.
09-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Having visited both the Edison and Ford estates about thirty years ago, I agree that their loss would be awful. I received emails yesterday regarding the status of Fort Jefferson. For years, it has needed major repairs to the mortar and bricks.
09-10-2017, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 02:01 PM by Thomas Kearney.)
Gulfstream Park cancelled racing this weekend and over 800 horses from tracks across Florida have been evacuated to other farms and tracks in different states. Also just a reminder, track management wanted me to let you know the Fall Festival of Racing is next Saturday at Laurel Park with 7 stakes races featuring the DeFrancis Dash, one of the top sprint races in the nation. First post 1:10 and fans who purchase a program get to spin from our prize wheel. Hope you and Vicki are OK Roger.

Looks like the storm is currently over Everglades National Park. Will go down to a category 1 storm once passed Tallahassee.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
09-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Looks like Roger lost power:
https://www.fplmaps.com/
09-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Most of South Florida and the Space Coast are without power. North of Jacksonville there is no power. The amusement park area does have power.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
09-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Can't someone give this b..ch directions to North Korea?