Member's new book out on October 8
09-13-2012, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 03:46 PM by RJNorton.)
Member's new book out on October 8
I am originally a native Chicagoan who has not only had a lifelong interest in Abraham Lincoln, but also in the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. I have co-authored a book entitled "Chicago's 1893 World's Fair," a volume in the IMAGES OF AMERICA series from Arcadia Publishing. This series celebrates the history of neighborhoods, towns, cities, and events across the country using archival photographs and distinctive stories from the past. The book will be released on October 8 and is available for order at http://www.arcadiapublishing.com

[Image: joesbook.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2012, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 03:53 PM by RJNorton.)
RE: Member's new book out on October 8
Wow, Joe, this looks absolutely wonderful. Kudos on what you have done. Thanks for letting us all know about your book!
09-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Copngatulations Joe!
09-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Very cool, Joe. Congratulations! Any chance your book has a picture of Thomas Jones unsuccessfully trying to sell his book about his role in Booth's escape?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-13-2012, 05:00 PM
We sell some of these Images of America books at Surratt House because they deal with some of our local towns, etc. They are great little works, and I'm really looking forward to reading this one after reading Devil in the White City.
09-13-2012, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 05:06 PM by BettyO.)
Congratulations, Joe!

This is wonderful I'm very happy for you -- and I look forward to seeing the "rebuilt" Libby Prison! Yes, these are grand books - I have several of them; it's an excellent series for those who are unfamiliar with them.

Laurie, Devil in the White City is a fantastic read also....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-13-2012, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 05:29 PM by Joe Di Cola.)
(09-13-2012 05:04 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Congratulations, Joe!

This is wonderful I'm very happy for you -- and I look forward to seeing the "rebuilt" Libby Prison! Yes, these are grand books - I have several of them; it's an excellent series for those who are unfamiliar with them.

Laurie, Devil in the White City is a fantastic read also....

Thanks, Betty,
The "rebuilt" Libby Prison where confectioner Gunther had his great collection was not on the fairgrounds, but on South Wabash Street, closer to downtown. And, although the Thomas Lincoln cabin from Coles County, IL was dismantled and brought to the fair, no one photographed it! So, the book is very short on anything Lincoln.

(09-13-2012 03:52 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Wow, Joe, this looks absolutely wonderful. Kudos on what you have done. Thanks for letting us all know about your book!

Thank you Roger, and for help with the image.

(09-13-2012 04:40 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Copngatulations Joe!

Thank you very much.

(09-13-2012 04:54 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Very cool, Joe. Congratulations! Any chance your book has a picture of Thomas Jones unsuccessfully trying to sell his book about his role in Booth's escape?

Thanks, Dave. No pic of Thomas Jones. That was a new piece of information for me. Was he trying to hawk his book outside the fairgrounds? Or did he stroll the grounds trying to sell it? I find this fascinating.

(09-13-2012 05:00 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  We sell some of these Images of America books at Surratt House because they deal with some of our local towns, etc. They are great little works, and I'm really looking forward to reading this one after reading Devil in the White City.

I am glad you are reading "Devil in the White City." My book only has a brief entry on the Holmes crimes, with his mug shots and a diagram of the chambers of horrors at his "hotel." Thanks for your post.
09-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Joe,

Congratulations. I definitely will be getting a copy. We sell a lot of the Images of America series at the bookstore.

This one on Indiana's Lincolnland has some really good pictures as well.
[Image: 101689931.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's definitely a classy outfit. Now about getting it autographed....Big Grin

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-13-2012, 08:03 PM
(09-13-2012 07:36 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Joe,

Congratulations. I definitely will be getting a copy. We sell a lot of the Images of America series at the bookstore.

This one on Indiana's Lincolnland has some really good pictures as well.
[Image: 101689931.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's definitely a classy outfit. Now about getting it autographed....Big Grin

Best
Rob

Thanks, Rob,

I love these books and have a number of them myself, including Indiana's Lincolnland. I would honored to inscibe a copy for you.
09-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Congratulations Joe! I was wondering the same thing Rob asked . . . how can I get an autographed copy? This is a great series. Here, they are sold in the local drug store. I have a few of these books myself and always find myself drawn to the photos of days gone by. I look forward to obtaining a copy of your book and losing myself in another era of the past.
09-14-2012, 07:23 AM
(09-14-2012 01:50 AM)Donna McCreary Wrote:  Congratulations Joe! I was wondering the same thing Rob asked . . . how can I get an autographed copy? This is a great series. Here, they are sold in the local drug store. I have a few of these books myself and always find myself drawn to the photos of days gone by. I look forward to obtaining a copy of your book and losing myself in another era of the past.

Thanks you, Donna. I would be happy to inscribe a copy for you. I know it probably means sending one that I would return. I don't know of any other way since we are all widely scattered. The 1893 was quite the event and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Joe,
I love that series of books. Congrats!

Craig
09-15-2012, 09:05 AM
(09-14-2012 08:16 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  Joe,
I love that series of books. Congrats!

Craig

Thank you, Craig.
10-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Reminder to everyone - Joe's book is out in 4 days.
10-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Nice job Joe!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user