Words To Live By
06-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Words To Live By
I have to give a presentation in the next few weeks on how museums share history to the diverse population that now makes up our potential audience in the DC area. I thought I had pretty much finished my 15-minute talk until I was reading a tweet by a former staff member at Surratt House, Lindsey Horn.

Lindsey had posted a photo of a plaque that is in the Maryland Historical Society. It is a quote from a renowned African American writer, whose name is familiar to those who remember the civil rights movements of the mid-20th century - James Baldwin.

I am posting it here for all of us "amateur historians" to remember:

"The great force of history comes from the fact that we carry it within us, are unconsciously controlled by it... History is literally present in all we do."

James Baldwin (1924-1987)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2017, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2017 11:46 AM by Gene C.)
RE: Words To Live By
Here is a quote, sad but true. As people interested in history, it is our responsability to share not only the stories from the past, but also our enthusiasm.

"Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them."

Solomon (1010 BC - 931 BC)
from the book of Ecclesiastes, a book about trying to find happiness and fulfillment in the wrong things - Chapter 1:10-11

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply