A 1919 Play About Lincoln by an Englishman!
06-22-2017, 03:32 PM
A 1919 Play About Lincoln by an Englishman!
Here's an oddity for you from my library.

Drinkwater, John (1919). Abraham Lincoln: A Play With an Introduction by Arnold Bennet. Boston, MA & New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company.

John Drinkwater, an Englishman, wrote this play about Lincoln in the waning years of WWI (1917-1918).

In his introduction, he maintains that while he stays true to the history of Lincoln, he does take dramatic license with the moments in which Lincoln creates the history.

Frankly, I'd like to see this play reworked just a bit & performed on Broadway some time.

Anyone else familiar w/it?

"Human-nature will not change...Let us, therefore, study the incidents of this, as philosophy to learn wisdom from." A.Lincoln (11-10-1864)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2017, 05:23 PM
RE: A 1919 Play About Lincoln by an Englishman!
Mac, I am not familiar with what you mention, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum!

I would like to mention to all the folks that Mac has his own Lincoln website here.
Find all posts by this user
06-22-2017, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 05:44 PM by Gene C.)
The play is available in Internet Archives

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.76888

starts on page 5.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
06-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Roger,
Thank you for the welcome, & for the nice plug!

I am enjoying everyone's posts on this site & realizing just how much I DON'T know!

Gene,

Thanks for finding that online for everyone. It gives others a chance to see how that Englishman interpreted Lincoln dramatically - I found it a fun read.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone!

"Human-nature will not change...Let us, therefore, study the incidents of this, as philosophy to learn wisdom from." A.Lincoln (11-10-1864)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user