Mark Your Calendars
04-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Mark Your Calendars
The 19th Annual Surratt Conference will be held on the weekend of April 6-8, 2018. Work is already underway in planning the programs. We received such great reviews on this year's event that it will be hard to top it - but, we'll do our best.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2017, 03:40 PM
RE: Mark Your Calendars
Any ideas for next year

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
04-07-2017, 07:34 PM
(04-07-2017 03:40 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Any ideas for next year

I have not come up with a catchy theme yet, but I do have ideas for about 5-6 speakers. They just don't know it yet! I'll put out feelers next month.

I am also open to suggestions for speakers that have subjects related to the Lincoln assassination in some way. There are plenty of general Lincoln conferences to go around, and we always try to stay on our main topic of the assassination and related topics.
06-07-2017, 03:28 PM
June 25, 2017 at 2 PM
in Ft Wayne, IN

Program - The Lincoln Assassination Conspiracy Trials & Their Aftermath

https://www.lincolncollection.org/access...ps-events/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-07-2017, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 07:56 PM by Thomas Kearney.)
(06-07-2017 03:28 PM)Gene C Wrote:  June 25, 2017 at 2 PM
in Ft Wayne, IN

That's the same weekend as the Giant Food National Capital BBQ Battle. Wish I could make it, but BBQ is calling my name!

06-07-2017, 08:48 PM
(06-07-2017 03:28 PM)Gene C Wrote:  June 25, 2017 at 2 PM
in Ft Wayne, IN

The Hon. Judge Cosbey's press release already has one thing wrong - there were eight conspirators put on trial, not seven. And I am not counting John Surratt for the 1865 Trial. Guess who is being left out of the count.

We have a very interesting retired law professor from Widener University lined up for our April conference. Dr. Thomas Reed is the author of Avenging Lincoln's Death and has found many legal flaws in the trial itself as well as how authors over the years have erred in their analyses.

Other speakers and topics to be announced in full later will be our own Susan Higginbotham speaking on the ladies (or lack of) in John Surratt's life; Dr. Jon Willen speaking in depth about the life of Dr. Charles Leale; forum member Wes Harris will conduct his own CSI interpretation about the "skill" of the detectives; Dave Taylor will talk on the national reaction to the death of Lincoln; and Richard Willing, formerly of USA Today and who covered the Free Dr. Mudd trials and tribulations movement by the Mudd family, will offer thoughts on Muddy Waters (but with a different twist than what you are imagining).

I just need my hoped-for banquet speaker to respond to my invitation. I am hoping for an acceptance from Brady Carlson of NPR in New Hampshire and author of the very informative and cleverly written book, Dead Presidents: An American Adventure into the Strange Deaths and Surprising Afterlives of our Nation's Leaders. I would never consider a talk about death from an after-dinner speaker, but the book is so entertaining that I could not resist!

I am still struggling with a title for the overall conference since I'm mixing so many apples and oranges... Please Gene and Thomas, don't offer a cutesy one 'cause you know I will get irritated. Pressures at work right now are beating down my sense of humor.
06-08-2017, 11:10 AM
My sense of humor has significantly decreased in the past few months. I'm not sure what it is, but I can't come up with any cutesy names. I know you're happy about that.

06-08-2017, 11:54 AM
This is a real challenge.

Are you feeling beaten down?
Has your sense of humor faded away?
Then join us this Spring for the Surratt Conference

Surratt Conference 2018
A Variety of Topics
From Apples to Oranges,
(and mixing in a few Nuts)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-09-2017, 10:45 AM
(06-08-2017 11:54 AM)Gene C Wrote:  This is a real challenge.

Are you feeling beaten down?
Has your sense of humor faded away?
Then join us this Spring for the Surratt Conference

Surratt Conference 2018
A Variety of Topics
From Apples to Oranges,
(and mixing in a few Nuts)

Actually, I kinda like the apples, oranges, and a few nuts! Probably won't use it, but I do like it.