This ‘Wanted’ poster for the Lincoln assassination goes on display at Harvard.
03-21-2017, 12:06 AM
This ‘Wanted’ poster for the Lincoln assassination goes on display at Harvard.
Perfect timing for me. I will be visiting the Harvard University’s Houghton Library during my vacation to do research on the Booth family. They have a collection of photographs I'm checking out. Will definitely look for the wanted poster. Smile

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/03...%3Atwitter
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2017, 05:09 AM
RE: This ‘Wanted’ poster for the Lincoln assassination goes on display at Harvard.
Quote: They have a collection of photographs I'm checking out. Will definitely look for the wanted poster.

Major thing wrong with the Harvard Poster - the photo of Herold on this one was taken by Gardner on board the monitor AFTER Booth's death and Herold's capture!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
03-21-2017, 10:26 AM
RE: This ‘Wanted’ poster for the Lincoln assassination goes on display at Harvard.
(03-21-2017 05:09 AM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote: They have a collection of photographs I'm checking out. Will definitely look for the wanted poster.

Major thing wrong with the Harvard Poster - the photo of Herold on this one was taken by Gardner on board the monitor AFTER Booth's death and Herold's capture!

The accompanying text explains that: The photographs of the suspects on Harvard’s copy were “tipped-in” after their captures, said Stauffer, possibly by Wendell or a previous owner.

“Someone, whether the donor or someone else, got his hands on this broadside and said, ‘This is unfinished, I have photographs, or I’ll acquire photographs of these suspects and I’ll tip them in myself,” he explained.
03-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Since 1996 I have received quite a few emails from students whose teachers mistakenly teach the pupils that there was a $100,000 reward for Booth alone. The others are ignored.