Unrelated History Lesson
02-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Unrelated History Lesson
I opened my computer this evening, and a Google Doodle told me to read this little history lesson:

http://heavy.com/news/2017/02/ida-lewis-google-doodle/

Since Women's History Month begins on Wednesday, I'm doing my duty to carry on stories of women who made a difference.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2017, 08:34 PM
RE: Unrelated History Lesson
Here are some facts about each of our states -- you will be tested!

ALABAMA ............Was the first state to have 9-1-1, started 1968.
>
ALASKA .........One out of every 64 people has a pilot's license.
>
> ARIZONA............Is the only state in the continental U.S. that does
> not follow Daylight Savings Time.
>
> ARKANSAS...........Has the only active diamond mine in the U.S.
>
> CALIFORNIA;............Its economy is so large that if it were a
> country, it would rank seventh in the entire world.
>
> COLORADO............In 1976 it became the only state to turn down the Olympics.
>
> CONNECTICUT............The Frisbee was invented here at Yale University
>
> DELAWARE...........Has more scientists and engineers than any other state.
>
> FLORIDA............At 874.3 square miles, Jacksonville is the largest
> city in the U.S.
>
> GEORGIA............It was here, in 1886, that pharmacist John
> Pemberton made the first vat of Coca-Cola....interesting!
>
> HAWAII............Hawaiians live, on average, five years longer than
> residents of any other state.
>
> IDAHO...........TV was invented in Rigby, Idaho, in 1922.
>
> ILLINOIS...........Has a Governor in jail, one pending jail, and is
> the most corrupt state in the union!
>
> INDIANA............Home to Santa Claus, Indiana, which gets a half
> million letters for Santa every year.
>
> IOWA.........Winnebago R.V.s get their name from Winnebago County.
> Also, it is the only state name that begins with 2 vowels.
>
> KANSAS............Liberal, Kansas has an exact replica of the house in
> "The Wizard of Oz".
>
> KENTUCKY............Has more than $6 billion in gold underneath Fort Knox.
>
> LOUISIANA............Has parishes instead of counties because they
> were originally Spanish church units.
>
> MAINE............It is so large that it covers as many square miles as
> the other five New England states combined.
>
> MARYLAND............The Ouija board was created in Baltimore in
> 1892....... Bet you didn't know that!
>
> MASSACHUSETTS.......The Fig Newton is named after Newton, Massachusetts.
>
> MICHIGAN............Fremont, home to Gerber, is the baby food capital
> of the world.
>
> MINNESOTA.......Bloomington's Mall of America is so big, that if you
> spent 10 minutes in each store, you'd be there almost four days.
>
> MISSISSIPPI.....President Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear
> here... that's how the teddy bear got its name.
>
> MISSOURI............Is the birthplace of the ice cream cone.
>
> MONTANA ........A sapphire from Montana is in the Crown Jewels of England .
>
> NEBRASKA............More triplets are born here than in any other state.
>
> NEW HAMPSHIRE.........Birthplace of Tupperware, invented in 1938 by Earl Tupper.
>
> NEW JERSEY............Has the most shopping malls in one area in the world.
>
> NEW MEXICO............Smokey Bear was rescued from a 1950 forest fire here.
>
> NEW YORK............Is home to the nation's oldest cattle ranch,
> started in 1747 in Montauk...........Surprised?
>
> NORTH CAROLINA........Home of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut.
>
> NORTH DAKOTA........... Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact geographic
> center of North America .
>
> OHIO............The hot dog was invented here in 1900.
>
> OKLAHOMA............The grounds of the state capital are covered by
> operating oil wells.
>
> OREGON............Has the most ghost towns in the country.
>
> PENNSYLVANIA............The smiley : ) was first used in 1980 by
> computer scientists at Carnegie Mellon University .
>
> RHODE ISLAND............The nation's oldest bar, the White Horse
> Tavern, opened here in 1673.
>
> SOUTH CAROLINA.........Sumter County is home to the world's largest gingko farm.
>
> SOUTH DAKOTA...........Is the only state that's never had an earthquake.
>
> TENNESSEE...........Nashville's Grand Ole Opry is the longest running
> live radio show in the world.
>
> TEXAS.......Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The hamburger was
> invented in Arlington in 1906.
>
> UTAH...........The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened here in 1952.
>
> VERMONT..........Montpelier is the only state capital without a McDonald's.
>
> VIRGINIA..........Home of the world's largest office building, The Pentagon.
>
> WASHINGTON............Seattle has twice as many college graduates as any other state.
>
> WASHINGTON D.C.........Is the first planned capital in the world
>
> WEST VIRGINIA............Had the world's first brick paved street,
> Summers Street, laid in Charleston in 1870.
>
> WISCONSIN............The ice cream sundae was invented here in 1881 to
> get around Blue Laws prohibiting ice cream from being sold on Sunday.
> Also the American Water Spaniel was created there and is the state
> dog.
>
> WYOMING.........Was the first state to allow women to vote.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
02-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Glad to see that two of the major food groups--Coca-Cola and Krispy Kremes--got a mention.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-27-2017, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2017 10:05 PM by brtmchl.)
I had always thought that the ice cream cone was invented at the Chicago World's Fair but I was mistaking the story for that of the 1904 St Louis World's Fair. A man was selling waffle like pastries next to another vendor that sold ice cream. The ice cream was very popular and he quickly ran out of bowls. The pastry vendor had a solution, he rolled one of his waffles into the shape of a cone and gave it to the vendor who filled it with ice cream. Most believe this as the creation of the cone.
I recently read that the first ice cream cone was actually produced in 1896 by an Italian Immigrant (can't recall his name), who invented the cone in New York City. He was granted a patent in December 1903.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
02-28-2017, 12:03 PM
(02-27-2017 10:04 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  I had always thought that the ice cream cone was invented at the Chicago World's Fair but I was mistaking the story for that of the 1904 St Louis World's Fair. A man was selling waffle like pastries next to another vendor that sold ice cream. The ice cream was very popular and he quickly ran out of bowls. The pastry vendor had a solution, he rolled one of his waffles into the shape of a cone and gave it to the vendor who filled it with ice cream. Most believe this as the creation of the cone.
I recently read that the first ice cream cone was actually produced in 1896 by an Italian Immigrant (can't recall his name), who invented the cone in New York City. He was granted a patent in December 1903.

Here's an interesting link on the history of ice cream cones:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/...amCone.htm
02-28-2017, 09:48 PM
(02-27-2017 09:45 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  Glad to see that two of the major food groups--Coca-Cola and Krispy Kremes--got a mention.
(What are Krispy Kremes???) Just want to mention/remind of that the invention of CC was actually a CW-wound-consequence.
02-28-2017, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 11:13 PM by Gene C.)
Krispy Kremes are yeast, sugar glazed doughnuts.
They are best hot out of the oven.

http://www.krispykreme.com/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-01-2017, 11:56 AM
(02-28-2017 11:12 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Krispy Kremes are yeast, sugar glazed doughnuts.
They are best hot out of the oven.

http://www.krispykreme.com/

Eva,

Gene is absolutely correct, and they are delicious. You can buy them in grocery stores (at least here in the DC area), but there is a factory for them about twenty minutes from Surratt House in nearby Alexandria, Virginia.

They are a specialty for youth groups, cheerleaders, etc. who sell them as fundraisers. The kids (and sleepy parents) get up very early on Saturday mornings and go to that factory to get their stash for that day's sales. One box is usually devoured in the car before they ever reach the street corner for sales! Light, airy, and scrumptious - and about ten seconds in a microwave on Sunday revives them, if you haven't sold all your boxes.
03-01-2017, 08:05 PM
(02-28-2017 09:48 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(02-27-2017 09:45 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  Glad to see that two of the major food groups--Coca-Cola and Krispy Kremes--got a mention.
(What are Krispy Kremes???) Just want to mention/remind of that the invention of CC was actually a CW-wound-consequence.

Krispy Kremes are a staple for tailgating at Soldier Field. These are used instead of buns for your burger. I think they are also called "Luther Vandross burgers."

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
03-01-2017, 09:03 PM
(03-01-2017 08:05 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  

Krispy Kremes are a staple for tailgating at Soldier Field. These are used instead of buns for your burger. I think they are also called "Luther Vandross burgers."
I love burgers too, but I don't think I could stomach them being squished between two, sugary Krispy Kreme donuts. Do they also use condiments and onions? Are you spoofing us?
03-01-2017, 11:08 PM
(03-01-2017 09:03 PM)L Verge Wrote:  

I love burgers too, but I don't think I could stomach them being squished between two, sugary Krispy Kreme donuts. Do they also use condiments and onions? Are you spoofing us?
You'd be surprised. I felt the same way until I tried one. It was really good but a couple of bites goes a long way. I leave it to a once a year tailgating experience. No condiments, unless you consider bacon as one.

03-02-2017, 06:54 PM
(03-01-2017 11:08 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  

You'd be surprised. I felt the same way until I tried one. It was really good but a couple of bites goes a long way. I leave it to a once a year tailgating experience. No condiments, unless you consider bacon as one.

i think that's what killed Elvis.
03-03-2017, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 05:43 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thanks, Gene and Laurie.

(03-02-2017 06:54 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 11:08 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  
(02-28-2017 09:48 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  (What are Krispy Kremes???) Just want to mention/remind of that the invention of CC was actually a CW-wound-consequence.

i think that's what killed Elvis.
I think I stick with grits...