The Project Keeps On Growing
02-20-2017, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 02:24 PM by L Verge.)
The Project Keeps On Growing
About a year ago, I announced that the Surratt House Museum had received an indefinite loan of a private collection of slave manumission papers, freedom papers, and bills of sale related to enslaved people in our home county, Prince George's County, Maryland. The papers date from 1781 through 1858 and consist of over thirty separate pieces. They passed through one family in entirety.

Our research librarian has transcribed and digitized each piece; and due to my unexpected illness, she took on the project of mounting an exhibit of ten of the most significant and compelling ones for our Black History Month project. On February 11, the owner of the collection joined us at the museum for a meet and greet with interested visitors, and it was well-received. A reporter from the Washington Post newspaper is working on an article about the papers, and we have even been able to tie one of the 1838 documents to another historic house museum in our county. They will be using that document in a special exhibit that they are mounting on immigration history in their town.

Two of our museum volunteers may have ties to another of the papers because they live on property that was once a plantation known as Greenland. In the late-1700s and up until at least the post-Civil War era, the plantation was owned by a Benjamin Duvall and then his son. The son, the son's wife, and two daughters are buried on our volunteers' property; and they maintain the small graveyard.

Last Thursday, we had a lady visit and then come into my office to question whether or not we could give a lecture next February on these papers. Our librarian has become very well-versed on the subject, and she now has a directive to compose a lecture and PowerPoint presentation that will continue to spread the word. From little acorns, giant oaks do spring... and, we are fulfilling our mission to have the present teach the past to the future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2017, 10:25 AM
RE: The Project Keeps On Growing
The Washington Post has a nice write-up of this today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/los...8b801b048a
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Fascinating, Laurie! Thanks for the link, Susan!
02-21-2017, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 01:22 PM by wpbinzel.)
While I wish that the reporter had included a couple of lines about Surratt House itself in the article, it is a very good article and likely to attract more visitors. Congratulations to Laurie Verge and Surratt House Museum Research Librarian, Colleen Walter Puterbaugh, for undertaking the project. Well done!!
02-21-2017, 02:27 PM
(02-21-2017 10:25 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  The Washington Post has a nice write-up of this today:

I would just like to add an unrelated tag line to this: Susan began her training to become a volunteer guide at Surratt House Museum last Friday. She'll be an easy student when it comes to teaching her our history! Welcome aboard, Susan.
02-21-2017, 02:35 PM
(02-21-2017 02:27 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(02-21-2017 10:25 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  The Washington Post has a nice write-up of this today:

I would just like to add an unrelated tag line to this: Susan began her training to become a volunteer guide at Surratt House Museum last Friday. She'll be an easy student when it comes to teaching her our history! Welcome aboard, Susan.

That is wonderful news! Kudos, Susan!
02-21-2017, 02:50 PM
(02-21-2017 02:27 PM)L Verge Wrote:  

Welcome, indeed, Susan! I think you will find it to be a most interesting (not to mention fun) way to spend a couple of hours a month.
02-21-2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks, all! Looking forward to it!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-21-2017, 08:30 PM
The article on the manumission papers led to another high school classmate walking into my office today with a decaying, undated letter in his hands. It is a rather unusual plea for financial assistance from this CW veteran. It may have been written to a newspaper called the Valley View, and I'm guessing that it was in New York state where the writer was from (I think).

I'll share more details later (and probably carry the letter in the Surratt Courier once we have transcribed it). Right now, I need a little help from my friends here who are good at locating old newspapers. Hopefully, the Valley View was in NY and operating anywhere from ca. 1890 to early-1900s.

If any of you are good at looking up CW military records, I can supply name and company that this man served with. I just don't have the time nor the staff to take on any lengthy searches right now with the Surratt conference fast approaching. Thanks in advance.
02-22-2017, 04:30 PM
(02-21-2017 08:30 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The article on the manumission papers led to another high school classmate walking into my office today with a decaying, undated letter in his hands. It is a rather unusual plea for financial assistance from this CW veteran. It may have been written to a newspaper called the Valley View, and I'm guessing that it was in New York state where the writer was from (I think).

I'll share more details later (and probably carry the letter in the Surratt Courier once we have transcribed it). Right now, I need a little help from my friends here who are good at locating old newspapers. Hopefully, the Valley View was in NY and operating anywhere from ca. 1890 to early-1900s.

If any of you are good at looking up CW military records, I can supply name and company that this man served with. I just don't have the time nor the staff to take on any lengthy searches right now with the Surratt conference fast approaching. Thanks in advance.

The author of the letter was H. Vanderater (?) "late of Co. F 13th NY Vol. Cav." NOTE: Last few letters of name could also be double "r" or an "n." Look for a Dutchman in any case.
02-23-2017, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2017 05:28 PM by L Verge.)
(02-22-2017 04:30 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(02-21-2017 08:30 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The article on the manumission papers led to another high school classmate walking into my office today with a decaying, undated letter in his hands. It is a rather unusual plea for financial assistance from this CW veteran. It may have been written to a newspaper called the Valley View, and I'm guessing that it was in New York state where the writer was from (I think).

The author of the letter was H. Vanderater (?) "late of Co. F 13th NY Vol. Cav." NOTE: Last few letters of name could also be double "r" or an "n." Look for a Dutchman in any case.

I had staff member, Joan Chaconas, transcribe the battered sheets mentioned above, and it appears that our CW veteran was a bit of a poet. Judging by other writings appended to this poem, I think it was composed after the turn of the 20th century and is a plea for an old soldier to receive a pension (as indicated in the title). As you read it, you will be reminded that history does repeat itself - yesterday's problems continue today:

A Plea for the Old Soldier
by H. Vandenater, late of Co. F 13th NY Vol. Cav.

See you feeble form - a relic of stronger manhood.
Would you stand and face the battle's hell
where he has stood?
The vision of his youth has fled; his
head is crowned by the frost of years.
The only friend that is left him now is
the partner of his joys and tears.
The Twinges of old age remind him that
the years are few before him now,
For the deepening shadows of the valley
are gathering 'round him now,
His eyes are growing misty, his hands
are trembling too,
Not near as strong as when he
defended the Red, White, and Blue.
The bugle notes for him now would
have a dying thrill;

In his youth he loved old Glory,
and he loves the dear flag still,
Oh shame upon a nation that will
hesitate to give
Enough to the old veteran that will
enable him to live:
For work he cannot: beg he must
to get e'en a hardened crust,
Unless he receives more pension
to live, until he mingles with the dust.
Do not hesitate, but remember the deeds
of valor he has done.
Shield him from the arms of want for
the battles he has won.
While he lives heap life's blessings
on his old gray head,
It is better than crush him beneath
monuments after he is dead;
The weight of your generosity has not
killed or crushed him yet,
But the lightness of your bounty has
often made him fret,