coincidences
02-06-2017, 12:30 PM
coincidences
This is the lede of a recent New Yorker book review about a Lincoln novel. I never knew about this Glenn-Willie timing:

Seekers of Presidential frisson cherish the synchronous deaths of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, on July 4, 1826, a temporal thrill doubled by the date’s being the fiftieth anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. Another eerie conjunction belongs to February 20th, which delivered to the White House, on two occurrences a century apart, some of the keenest joy and deepest sorrow to enter the building.

At 4:10 p.m. on Tuesday, February 20, 1962, John F. Kennedy was on the phone congratulating John Glenn, who had just completed three orbits of Earth. Amid a clamor of national pride, the President quietly observed, “I have just been watching your father and mother on television, and they seemed very happy.” A hundred years earlier, almost to the hour, the set of parents then occupying the White House, Abraham and Mary Lincoln, were being plunged into an extreme grief by the death of their third son, Willie, who was eleven years old.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 03:02 PM
RE: coincidences
Very interesting, Kathy. I just checked Lincoln Day By Day, and it says Willie died at 5:00 P.M. on February 20, 1862, so the timing was indeed very close.
02-06-2017, 03:09 PM
RE: coincidences
(02-06-2017 03:02 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Very interesting, Kathy. I just checked Lincoln Day By Day, and it says Willie died at 5:00 P.M. on February 20, 1862, so the timing was indeed very close.

Good catch, Roger. I haven't trusted the New Yorker since Thurber died.