Another Mary....
01-25-2017, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 08:20 PM by BettyO.)
Another Mary....
She truly did turn the world on with her smile.

I was shocked and saddened to hear that Mary Tyler Moore had passed away this morning. I had the great fortune to meet her back in 1987 when she played Mary Todd Lincoln to Sam Waterston's Abe in Gore Vidal's Lincoln. The film was shot in Richmond and Petersburg and I worked as an extra. She was as charming and down to earth in person as the TV characters she so wonderfully portrayed. I'll dig out some photos....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2017, 06:29 AM
RE: Another Mary....
Vicki and I were saddened by the passing of Mary Tyler Moore. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was one of our absolute favorites during the 1970s.
01-26-2017, 06:48 AM
I'd forgotten that she played Mrs. Lincoln. By all accounts she wass a wonderful person.
Trivia question: she played a nun in what movie?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Change of Habit, Elvis' last acting role. She made it after all to TV Heaven. While I wasn't a fan of her portrayal of Mary Lincoln, I will always remember her as Laura Petrie.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
01-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Right on Thomas! Actually a really decent Elvis movie. Both Elvis and Mary looked great!

Bill Nash
01-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Mary Tyler Moore has a Confederate ancester- Lewis T. Moore. He served under Jackson.

Bill Nash
01-27-2017, 10:08 AM
So Betty.....are you in Lincoln, and where?
01-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Good grief - let's see....I was in a couple of ballroom scenes at the old Confederate Women's Home (Richmond) and riding in a buggy up and down the street. I was also at Centre Hill (Petersburg) in a couple of scenes inside the house - forget which. To me, MTM was more than a bit too tall and slim to be Mary Todd.....but she was a lovely person.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Wow, that is cool, Betty! Thanks for posting.
01-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Has anyone toured the Lewis T. Moore house in Virginia?

Bill Nash
01-28-2017, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2017 12:52 PM by L Verge.)
(01-28-2017 08:25 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Has anyone toured the Lewis T. Moore house in Virginia?

About twenty years ago, the Surratt Society sponsored a bus trip to the Valley region and Winchester. We visited the museum at that time - nothing pretentious, but filled with Jackson history (which I loved because of my admiration for the General).

Just found this online. Evidently Ms. Moore assisted in another family- and CW-related museum project:

In honor of her father, George Tyler Moore, a lifelong American Civil War enthusiast, in 1995 Moore donated funds to acquire a historic structure in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for Shepherd College (now Shepherd University) to be used as a center for Civil War studies. The center, named the George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War is housed in the historic Conrad Shindler House (c. 1795), which is named in honor of her great-great-great-grandfather, who owned the structure from 1815–52.[47] Moore also contributed to the renovation of the house used as headquarters during 1861–1862 by Confederate Major General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. Use of the house had been offered to Jackson by its owner, Lieutenant Colonel Lewis Tilghman Moore, commander of the 4th Virginia Infantry and a great-grandfather of Mary Tyler Moore.[6][48]
01-28-2017, 01:34 PM
(01-27-2017 01:22 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Good grief - let's see....I was in a couple of ballroom scenes at the old Confederate Women's Home (Richmond) and riding in a buggy up and down the street. I was also at Centre Hill (Petersburg) in a couple of scenes inside the house - forget which. To me, MTM was more than a bit too tall and slim to be Mary Todd.....but she was a lovely person.
Awesome, Betty! You looked great in that dress!
01-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Awesome pictures, Betty! Thank you for sharing!

My family and I toured Lewis T. Moore's house (known today as Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters) in Winchester just last summer. We found the house full of rare and original artifacts, including many personal belongings of Stonewall. Our guide was extremely knowledgable with a great passion and personal interest in Stonewall. It is an absolutely wonderful place to visit. While we were there, we also toured the old courthouse in Winchester, which was used as a hospital during the Civil War.

I think I posted about Jackson's Headquarters shortly after my visit there. Perhaps Roger can find the thread?
01-28-2017, 02:19 PM
(01-28-2017 01:36 PM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  I think I posted about Jackson's Headquarters shortly after my visit there. Perhaps Roger can find the thread?

Yes, Paige. I am glad to do so. It's here.
01-29-2017, 01:09 PM
I was surprised to read that Mary Tyler Moore will be buried here in Fairfield.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Fair...891194.php

I recently watched some of the episodes of the Mary Tyler Moore Show online and what really struck me was not only how funny the character of Mary Richards was (Chuckles Bites the Dust is hilarious) but how decent, kind and generous Mary was.

From everything I've read, Mary Tyler Moore was the same way.