Wonder if Mary Made Her Own Soap?
01-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Wonder if Mary Made Her Own Soap?
This video has nothing to do with Lincoln history except to remind us of chores that housewives had to do over the years. I just had to post it because it is a marvelous display of old-time methods that are still in use today in parts of the world -- and frankly, I was just plain fascinated at the size of the operation. I'd like to hire the gentleman at the end to do my Christmas wrapping.

https://biggeekdad.com/2017/01/making-so...ioned-way/

Start saving fireplace ashes and grease, and you too can make your own soap.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2017, 06:24 AM
RE: Wonder if Mary Made Her Own Soap?
If she didn't she probably knew how.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2017, 02:20 PM
As for the question in the headline - would we not be able to figure it out from the items that were bought by the Lincoln's while they lived there? There is the Irwin & Corneau Account Book and also the "Personal Finances" from Pratt.

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
01-24-2017, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 06:38 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Angela, there do occur palm soap and soap cake purchases in the late 1850s. However, Ruth P. R. assumes prior to that the Lincolns' soap was homemade.

Laurie - I would think also in the US there are lots of manufactures that handmake soap using the old methods as this has become a lifestyle product. One is even in Lincoln (UK):
http://www.lincolnsoapcompany.co.uk/index.html
01-24-2017, 06:39 PM
(01-24-2017 05:57 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Angela, there do occur palm soap and soap cake purchases in the late 1850s. However, Ruth P. R. assumes prior to that soap was homemade.

Laurie - I would think also in the US there are lots of manufactures that handmake soap using the old methods as this has become a lifestyle product. One is even in Lincoln (UK):
http://www.lincolnsoapcompany.co.uk/index.html

Yes, Eva, we have boutique and organic, etc. handmade soaps (I use them myself), but mass-produced commercial brands are much more prevalent. We used to have Victorian craft fairs at Surratt House, and one lady demonstrated soap making. She also came when we had an indoor exhibit and outdoor activities related to "Woman's Work Is Never Done." Time consuming and hot!
01-25-2017, 10:09 AM
It's sort of weird - products handmade the old traditional way which was a mere essential necessity in the past today have become luxury goods, and the same goes for many former poor-people foods (like oysters).
01-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Here in Maryland, blue crabs are consumed by the millions each year. However, we were surprised to learn many years ago (as we researched material for a Surratt Society cookbook) that crabs were reserved more for the poor and especially for the slaves. Expect to pay a pretty penny for one pound of the aquatic gold today.
02-25-2017, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2017 03:24 PM by Donna McCreary.)
Years ago, Colgate-Palmolive Co. celebrate a milestone anniversary by making posters of letters in their archives written by a variety of famous individuals. A friend's husband worked there, and decided they did not want the poster of Mary Lincoln's letter, so they gave it to me. Written in 1861, Mary thanked the president of the company for the gift of soap.
At least we know the President and his family enjoyed manufactured soap.
12-15-2017, 07:06 PM
(02-25-2017 03:23 PM)Donna McCreary Wrote:  Years ago, Colgate-Palmolive Co. celebrate a milestone anniversary by making posters of letters in their archives written by a variety of famous individuals. A friend's husband worked there, and decided they did not want the poster of Mary Lincoln's letter, so they gave it to me. Written in 1861, Mary thanked the president of the company for the gift of soap.
At least we know the President and his family enjoyed manufactured soap.

Now that's an awesome discovery!!!

And I wouldn't be surprised if she had at least a basic idea of soapmaking, given the times. :-)