White clothing in summer?
09-08-2012, 11:08 PM
White clothing in summer?
During the summer, I assume that Mr. Lincoln would wear white clothing instead of the typical black items.

I have seen only 1 photo of Abraham in white; is there other documentations that he wore lighter colored clothes?

Robert Brugler

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 12:07 AM
RE: White clothing in summer?
This was a trivia question a while ago. There's actually 2 - the one outside Lincoln's home in 1860 after his nomination and another after a court case in 1858. Someone also posted a sketch of Lincoln that was made at the Soldier's Home of Lincoln wearing a white suit.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
09-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Hi Robert. Here is the sketch Joe mentioned. This drawing was done by a Frenchman named Pierre Morand. Morand had moved to the United States, and he became acquainted with Lincoln after the Civil War began. Although he was not a professional, he made several sketches of the president.

[Image: french1.jpg]

Image Credit: I scanned the image from p. 222 of Lincoln: A Picture Story of His Life by Stefan Lorant (New York, W.W. Norton & Company, 1969)
09-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Very good. I will pass this on to Lincoln Presenters who spend summers garbed in black & sweating profusely.

Robert Brugler

09-09-2012, 10:08 AM
I guess to be truly accurate on what Lincoln wore seasonally, one could compare photographs of him with the dates of the occasion. I wonder if Lincoln wore black suits especially for portrait sittings? Would that have been the custom-because the occasion was more formal?

Bill Nash
09-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Joe,

Are you talking about the picture Norman Rockwell did of Lincoln in court, which is on the cover of Brian Dirck's Lincoln The Lawyer?

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I have to ask why do people assume Lincoln wore only black clothing? Is it because black and white photos do not depict color? Is it because the film industry dresses "Lincoln" in black? Is it because costumes for stage actors, presenters, and even Halloween are black?

From newspaper accounts, we learn that his wardrobe included a variety of colors. He wore suits made of blue linen, white line, black wool, blue wool, brown wool. His waist coats offered several color choices including white, black, blue, gold, and wine. A black suit was considered a business suit, and a business suit was not always appropiate wear for every occassion. For example, a man would never have worn a black frock coat into a ball room or to a wedding.

Then just as now, seasonal clothing was made of different fabrics. Summer required lighter weights fabrics - broadcloth, linen, silk, hemp, or a blend of any of these. Winter suits were most often made of wool. There were some summer weight woolens and some wool blends which were lighter in weight. Lincoln wore a variety of fabrics, color, and fashion. Mary made sure of it!
09-11-2012, 01:30 PM
But Donna-we all grew up with the image of Lincoln in a black suit--its so--Lincoln!

Bill Nash
09-11-2012, 01:34 PM
(09-09-2012 10:42 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Joe,

Are you talking about the picture Norman Rockwell did of Lincoln in court, which is on the cover of Brian Dirck's Lincoln The Lawyer?

Best
Rob

No, Rob. A photo was taken in 1858 after a court case. Lincoln was wearing a white suit.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that photo but not the story behind it. This is the painting I'm talking about (which is actually in color, but reproduced in b/w here).

[Image: abrahamlincoln2.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I think Roger knows the particulars on the court case. Was it the Armstrong case, Roger?

09-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Yes, Joe. I have the photo here.
There is a bigger photo here.

That ambrotype was taken in Beardstown, Illinois, by 18-year-old Abraham Byers on May 7, 1858. According to Lloyd Ostendorf's book it was taken shortly after Duff Armstrong's acquittal.
09-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Roger I love the photo of Lincoln in the white suit!! Don't think I've ever seen it before. The frame is so bright and beautiful.
09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Donna,

Thank you so much for clearing that up as far as Lincoln's clothing - and men's in general. I have always assumed that there would be a variety of colors worn by Lincoln. We have sales records for clothing bought by John Surratt, Sr. (a middle-class gent), and he enjoyed some pretty colorful outfits, including plaid pants, vests, etc.

Maybe history is still in mourning for Lincoln, and we just assume that he should fit the picture of a dark, somber fellow???
09-11-2012, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 08:02 PM by Gene C.)
Don't you ladies know how hard it is for us guys (that's for you Laurie), to keep something white, clean?
Probably even harder back then with horses, coal or wood stoves, dirt roads, no air conditioning, and the windows are open for the dust & pollen.

The black won't show the dirt as much. That's probably why he isn't photographed in white as much. (another sentence frament? for you Laurie)
(not to mention the attroshus....atroshes.....bad speling

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?