Merry Christmas!!!!
12-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Merry Christmas!!!!
Just a note to everyone here that I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Here in Baton Rouge, we are especially celebrating Christmas and looking forward to seeing our neighbors who have been out of their homes for the better part of the year, get back to a New Year of settling in again. It has been a lesson to all of us to be thankful everyday for our blessings and not to take anything for granted. This year has brought neighbors together and a community united helping and healing. Keep us all in your prayers!

Love to you all,

Genna
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2016, 06:04 AM
RE: Merry Christmas!!!!
Genna, thank you for such a wonderful message. Vicki and I send our very best holiday wishes to all.
12-23-2016, 06:19 AM
Thank you to Thomas for sending this video Christmas card!

CLICK HERE.
12-23-2016, 12:48 PM
As some of you know, I have spent the last three months of 2016 recuperating from a health scare. I am happy to report that things are looking much better and I hope to be cleared by doctors to return to my desk at Surratt House in mid-January (probably on a part-time basis at first).

While I have grown jaded about Christmas celebrations over the years, this year has made me realize that our year-round presents come in the form of love and support from our friends. I have received so many get well wishes and prayers from folks in the Lincoln field and on this forum that I feel like Genna does about how important support groups are to physical and social healing.

Thank you, everyone, as I send my wishes for a wonderful and meaningful holiday season -- and feelings of love, friendship, and sharing that will last well into the future. It's not what is inside a package that makes Christmas (and every day) special, it's what is inside one's heart.
12-23-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm just glad my video Christmas Cards aren't dysfunctional as this one from my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssBnnX4D7o

I wish I had an uncle like Fred

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
12-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Thank you, Genna and Laurie, for such wonderful messages!!! And Roger and Vicki for your wishes! (Thomas, I'd like to see - watch - your card but it doesn't play on my device.) Laurie, I am so glad about these news - health is probably the most valuable gift. I wish good health on every 2017 day to all. I absolutely agree on your last sentence. And on support being another priceless gift and second your good wishes for everyone.
12-23-2016, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2016 09:46 PM by Gencor.)
(12-23-2016 12:48 PM)L Verge Wrote:  As some of you know, I have spent the last three months of 2016 recuperating from a health scare. I am happy to report that things are looking much better and I hope to be cleared by doctors to return to my desk at Surratt House in mid-January (probably on a part-time basis at first).

While I have grown jaded about Christmas celebrations over the years, this year has made me realize that our year-round presents come in the form of love and support from our friends. I have received so many get well wishes and prayers from folks in the Lincoln field and on this forum that I feel like Genna does about how important support groups are to physical and social healing.

Thank you, everyone, as I send my wishes for a wonderful and meaningful holiday season -- and feelings of love, friendship, and sharing that will last well into the future. It's not what is inside a package that makes Christmas (and every day) special, it's what is inside one's heart.

A very special Merry Christmas, Laurie! I didn't know that you were ill but I am so happy to know that you are recovering and will be up and around soon. I feel blessed to have met you in this forum and have learned so much from the conversations here, especially your knowledge about President Lincoln and the Surratt House, that I wish one day to visit. I will keep you in my prayers this Christmas, as my special request for your healthy recovery. I know what it is to have serious illness, Laurie and a positive life of friendship and sharing is the best cure, along with a big smile and looking forward everyday. WinkSmile

(12-23-2016 06:04 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Genna, thank you for such a wonderful message. Vicki and I send our very best holiday wishes to all.

Same to you and your family, RJ! I wish that you and Vicki and the family have a lovely Christmas holiday and look forward to a Happy New Year!!!!!

(12-23-2016 06:42 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Thank you, Genna and Laurie, for such wonderful messages!!! And Roger and Vicki for your wishes! (Thomas, I'd like to see - watch - your card but it doesn't play on my device.) Laurie, I am so glad about these news - health is probably the most valuable gift. I wish good health on every 2017 day to all. I absolutely agree on your last sentence. And on support being another priceless gift and second your good wishes for everyone.

Thank you, Thomas, for your lovely Christmas greeting!!! Merry Christmas to you too!!!!
12-24-2016, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2016 01:29 PM by BettyO.)
Merry Christmas to all my Forum Friends!

Laurie - I'm so glad that you are much better!! Keep at it, Girlfriend!

Best also to Roger and Vicki for keeping the Forum going -

Everyone have a wonderful Christmas and Hanukkah.... Here's to 2017!!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-25-2016, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2016 09:17 AM by Gene C.)
I must have been good this year because a few of the wrapped presents under the tree look like they might be books.

Found this older Christmas song that I wanted to share, The Wexford Carol. It may be new to some of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7rhfr1WpMU
Click "Show More" for the lyrics

Angel MERRY CHRISTMAS Angel

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

I found this little picture online and I thought I would share it with the group. It gave me a holiday chuckle.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-28-2016, 01:17 PM
(12-28-2016 09:30 AM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

I found this little picture online and I thought I would share it with the group. It gave me a holiday chuckle.

Love the sketch, and it got me to wondering if there is any reference as to Christmas with the Lincolns, either before the White House or during their stay there, related to family -- not large social events.
12-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Laurie, I have never read anything specific, but my impression has been that it was not a big deal in the family. I really don't have anything to base that on; it's just a feeling I have.
12-28-2016, 03:27 PM
(12-28-2016 01:17 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Love the sketch, and it got me to wondering if there is any reference as to Christmas with the Lincolns, either before the White House or during their stay there, related to family -- not large social events.

Laurie,

I had the same thought last week as far as wondering about the "Lincoln Christmas". Like Roger, I had not really read much about it and always had the same impression that he did. I did find this blog post that talks a little about Lincoln and Christmas . It's not really written in an historical fashion and there are no sources cited but it is an interesting little read. Sometime I will search a little deeper into the topic and see what I can find. But for know here is a link to the blog post I came across.

http://mymerrychristmas.com/the-christma...m-lincoln/
12-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Scott, and very interesting. I did not know (needs citation) that Lincoln commissioned Thomas Nast to create what we now call Civil War Santa. I'll have to dig out Kevin Rawlings book and check on it. Kevin is the perfect Civil War Santa, and we employed him for many years to assist with our Christmas Candlelight Tours at Surratt House.

Somehow, I just cannot imagine that the Lincolns did not enjoy some Christmas fun in present-giving once they became parents. They just doted on their children too much.
12-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Thanks for sharing the link, Scott! Laurie, I would think Xmas simply meant little to them. IMO that wouldn't necessarily oppose they doted on their kids - I think they doted on them 365 days/year.