Alfred Richardson Story
12-22-2016, 03:06 AM
Alfred Richardson Story
I think that this should be addressed to Betty O. but I can't find where I read of her research. It might be someone else. Anyway.......
I found a story "about and by" Alfred R. Story. She may already have it, but has not mentioned it.
Story writes " I was on Special Detail as a messenger serving secretly in Washington D.C. and State of Maryland until June 1865.... I avoided taking the Oath of Allegiance and was never paroled.....
Does this sound familiar?
If this is news to you, I will print out the text - and send it to you.
(I was hunting Hogan when I stumbled on to this.
PS No mention of Hogan.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2016, 08:10 AM
RE: Alfred Richardson Story
Hello, John!

WHERE did you find this? Please send me the link; etc.....I've been looking for it - just been so busy with two jobs, my mom and the holidays -

Thanks!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-22-2016, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2016 08:58 AM by Gene C.)
Can you summarize what he wrote?

John, you were up early, or late with this post.
Sleepy

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Betty O. "With two jobs, your Mom, and the holidays", What do you do in your spare time? Don't hit me!

Gene "2 AM." I was up late. I didn't find much all evening, then this ....I couldn't stop then. I had to read more and write it up.

This is one of the most convoluted mysteries, I have ever worked on. 1. Alfred R. Story and The Story of Alfred R. are not the same thing.
2. Mr. and Mrs. Story (the Parents) are not married. So, Alfred is sometimes listed as Alfred Story and sometimes as Alfred Brown.
3. I don't care as much about Alfred Story as I do about Leonard Hogan. But if I read on, I might find something about Hogan. SPIES.
Leonard did say "He was a special messenger for the Confederacy," yet I can find nothing to PROVE that. I could not find anything that would PROOVE that such a job even existed. Then Betty O. mentioned that Story and Hogan may have worked in similar jobs.
So, I researched Story. Yipes! what a job. BUT I found this.
" I was on Special Detail as a messenger serving secretly
in Washington D.C. and the State of Maryland, when Lee surrendered and I remained in Maryland until June 1865. I avoided taking the Oath of Allegiance and was never paroled.
I was in Harper's Ferry when General Lee surrendered. I was in civilian clothes and I hunted other members of the Secret Service."
This information was on his application for a Pension in Florida.
That is a Legal Document that requires an oath to its veracity, so I believe him. To me -this confirms that there as such a job and there were others beyond Story and Hogan involved.
I would not disbelieve the information just because Richards was a LIAR.
12-27-2016, 01:59 AM
Betty O. Here is another version of Alfred Story's "Confession". Not a lot different but has some details.
In August ( An Extra - I'm adding - 1864) I was detached from my Company to act as a special messenger and I operated between Baltimore, Md. and our Army front lines until the end of the war, acting as a secret agent within the enemy's line - getting information from friends in Baltimore about the Federal Army. I was in Harper's Ferry at date of Lee's surrender and remained there until Johnson surrendered from there I went to Baltimore until Sept. 1865 then I returned to Georgia.
It's odd that the two versions are in he same place. Have you found that Article yet. (There is nothing like reading it for yourself.)
12-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Quote: It's odd that the two versions are in he same place. Have you found that Article yet. (There is nothing like reading it for yourself.)

What paper is the article(s) in, John? Thanks!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-29-2016, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 12:35 AM by SSlater.)
(12-27-2016 08:33 AM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote: It's odd that the two versions are in he same place. Have you found that Article yet. (There is nothing like reading it for yourself.)

What paper is the article(s) in, John? Thanks!
BettyO Story's story is not in a paper. See Google "Florida Memory".
Click on Collections. Drop down 4 rows to "Confederate Pension Collections." Enter "Story, Alfred Richardson -- Lake (County). Click Search. Click on "Story, Alfred Richardson". See list of Chapters, go to Chapter 12. Pan down to the bottom of the page ...See his "Confession". Good Luck finding the article.
I have tried to copy the page, but it won't copy. I think they prevent copies so that you will buy one. ($7.50). If you want a print-out I will buy one and it will be available to everyone.