Lincoln Forum Symposium and Washington
11-21-2016, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 11:47 AM by Angela.)
Lincoln Forum Symposium and Washington
I had originally planned to write up about the Lincoln Forum Symposium each day as it was happening but that bold plan fell short after I realized how CRAZY busy one can get in those few days.

While things do become a little more routine after a few years, one of course meets more and more people over those years and the need to pick up a conversation that was left hanging 12 month ago simply becomes overwhelming. There was not one day when I wasn’t notoriously late for something because of that.

Once again, the Symposium itself was a wonderful mixture of speakers and discussions and to pick a favorite is simply not possible. However, should you ever get the chance to hear Craig L. Symonds and John F. Marszalek give their joined lecture about the Sherman and Johnston, don’t miss it for the world because it is one of the most entertaining things ever.

For the activities I once again picked the cooking lesson with the chief and chef and now can hardly wait to try out the recipe for Chicken Croquette from Lincoln’s inaugural dinner.

It has become a bit of a tradition for me to bully Bjorn from the Chicago book shop into a trip to the battlefield and we had picked a gorgeous warm and sunny day to find the original positions of the Gardner images at Devils Den and the Rose Farm.

For the approaching sunset we chose the Pennsylvania Monument and it proved to be the right choice for that wonderful light.

At the Dedication Ceremony on Saturday, LaVar Burton gave a powerful address that really stirred the audience and George Buss, Gettysburg’s new Lincoln, made everybody cry.
I had some friends from Baltimore visiting and the gentleman in the group, who I would think of as pretty tough and not easily to move, was reaching for the tissues.

For the first time, I had a chance to watch the parade in the afternoon and it was simply a magnificent affair. Immediately towards the end, the weather shifted from gorgeous to nasty and a rain-snow storm moved in which prevented the Illumination from happening.
Oh well, that is probably just a good reason to return again next year!

I do realize that this report is probably the most unprofessional thing one could write about such a meeting of brilliant minds, remarkable historians and passionate reenactors – however, for me this annual pilgrimage is most about the people that I get to meet and see again.

And speaking of which, Michaela Wieties, the young lady that Laurie had mentioned as one of the winners of the student scholarships is one remarkable young Lincoln enthusiast!
On the final evening, she led the group into the Pledge of Allegiance and did a wonderful job!
Also, last years winner, Emma Benun, has returned this year as a regular member.
She was added, as the youngest member ever (at 18 years of age) to the board of advisors!

I have returned in an almost empty plane with lots of room to stretch out exactly 8 hours ago and this is truly the only fact of this whole affair that I am somewhat unhappy about.

It appears that I have made a mistake because the pictures will not show up. I apologize and will contact Roger in order to fix this.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2016, 02:23 PM
RE: Lincoln Forum Symposium and Washington
That was a great report. I'm sending my membership application today!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-21-2016, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 02:50 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
An awesome report, and magnificent photos!!!! Thank you so much! While you write so vivid and passionate that it makes me feel I was there it at the same time makes me likewise wish I were the more.
PS: I take my hat off to your cooking skills. If Lincoln had had scrambled eggs for the inauguration dinner I would possibly give the recipe a try...
11-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Wow, Angela! What a wonderful report and excellent photos! Thank you so much for sharing!
Your photos work fine!

Eva, I once read that Lincoln liked his eggs hard-boiled (not sure where I read that but do recall reading it).

There is an article about Michaela Wieties here:

http://journaltimes.com/news/local/educa...73a04.html
11-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Excellent photos Angela. To bad you weren't in my part of the hood Saturday. I was toward the end of the parade route. Check out the pictures on my Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/Tek2012Tek/with_replies

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
11-22-2016, 01:46 AM
Thank you all for the kind words - and sorry for the confusion I caused. On my computer the photos would not show up at first!
Thomas, we totally should have coordinated! There's always a next time, though!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.