How were Lewis Powell's parents related?
10-26-2016, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2016 06:10 AM by loetar44.)
How were Lewis Powell's parents related?
(1) Lewis Thornton Powell’s father and mother are George Cader Powell and Patience Caroline Powell. His parents were 2nd cousins.
(2) His second cousin was the famous Confederate commander John Brown Gordon (Ownsbey, p3). Other accounts say he was his first cousin.

I’ve done what research, but could not find any genealogical line. I’ve tried to sketch a line, with the following result.

If Lewis’ father and mother were 2nd cousins than it is fairly sure that both, George and Patience Caroline, are from the family of Moses Powell, married with Mary Williams. Moses and Mary had the following (documented) children: Cader, Penelope, Charity, Lewis, Moses jr., and Benjamin. Cader is the line of Lewis’ father: George Cader Powell. Moses jr. is the line of Rev. Lucas and certainly not the line of Lewis’ mother. Benjamin had no children. That leaves Lewis Powell. He was married with (first unknown) McNeil and had two sons Benjamin H en Lewis F. The parents of Patience Caroline were William Powell (who died in 1813) and Mary (Polly) Cox. But Moses and Mary had no documented son, named William.

However there is an ANTHONY Powell (he died in 1829 and was born between 1750 and 1770) from which is said: “no direct proof he was a son of Moses and Mary or a grandson). Okay, no one has any proof of Antony Powell’s parentage, but I believe it's possible his father was Moses Powell, who was married to Mary Williams, daughter of ANTHONY Williams and Mary Wallis. He was named after his mother’s father and had two sons: Charles and WILLIAM.

See: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...&id=I09255

If WILLIAM (son of Anthony) is the father of Patience Caroline, than indeed were Lewis Thornton Powell’s parents second cousins.

Mary (Polly) Cox had a sister, Melinda Cox, who married Rev. Zachariah Gordon. Zachariah married Lewis’ parents, he was (see: Onsbey) an uncle (of Patience Caroline). Confederate Maj. Gen. John Brown Gordon was the son of Rev. Zachariah and Melinda. So Maj. Gen. Gordon is NOT a second cousin of Lewis Powell, but a first cousin of his mother. However, this makes Maj. Gen. Gordon a first cousin once removed (1C1R) of Lewis Thornton Powell.

Looking forward to your comments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2018, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 05:37 PM by TNPowell.)
RE: How were Lewis Powell's parents related?
Hello, I would like to introduce myself I am T. Powell and my line is from the George Cader Powell. I have been able to confirm Benjamin Powell is his father and apparently the Elizabeth that shows up in the church records is George Cader Powell's sister. Benjamin Powell's Will says " to beloved son, George C. Powell" also "After the death of his sister, Elizabeth Powell". In GCP family bible list Benjamin death October 17 1836.

Now connecting Benjamin to the correct Powell's is the tricky part.
George was a "COUSIN" to his wife Caroline we know her father to be William Powell 1794 - 1813 and we know his father to be Cader Powell 1750.

What I know about Benjamin Powell, he would have been born between 1760 - 51 .

In 1788 Burke Co. GA. Benjamin has three land plats are in the Headright and Bounty records show 200 acres, 45 acres, 32 acres.

He is still in Waynesboro Burke Co. Ga 1820 census:
Name Benjn Powell Home in 1820 Waynesboro, Burke, Georgia Enumeration Date August 7, 1820 Free White Persons - Males - 10 thru 15 =1 Free White Persons - Males - 45 and over =1 Free White Persons - Females - 45 and over =1 Slaves - Males - Under 14 =1 Slaves - Females - Under 14 =1 Slaves - Females - 14 thru 25 =1 Slaves - Females - 45 and over =1 Number of Persons - Engaged in Agriculture =1 Free White Persons - Under 16 =1 Free White Persons - Over 25 =2 Total Free White Persons =3 Total Slaves =4 Total All Persons - White, Slaves, Colored, Other =7
The dates coincide with George Cader Powell birth on December 13 1809 in Burke Co. GA he would be the Free White Males - 10 thru 15 =1...

The next census is 1830 Crawford Co. GA. I am sure Benjamin is the older free white male age 70 - 79 living with his son George C. Powell. Also the free white female listed to be age 50 - 59 most likely is Elizabeth sister to George. Elizabeth could be from a earlier marriage for Benjamin to ...??? And George being a late in life child his mother is ...???
George and Caroline were married on May 23, 1830 • Talbot, Georgia, USA

Sorry I will STOP there...
Any wisdom you can share would be welcome...
09-18-2018, 07:21 PM
(09-18-2018 05:05 PM)TNPowell Wrote:  Hello, I would like to introduce myself I am T. Powell and my line is from the George Cader Powell. I have been able to confirm Benjamin Powell is his father and apparently the Elizabeth that shows up in the church records is George Cader Powell's sister. Benjamin Powell's Will says " to beloved son, George C. Powell" also "After the death of his sister, Elizabeth Powell". In GCP family bible list Benjamin death October 17 1836.

George was a "COUSIN" to his wife Caroline we know her father to be William Powell 1794 - 1813 and we know his father to be Cader Powell 1750.

In 1788 Burke Co. GA. Benjamin has three land plats are in the Headright and Bounty records show 200 acres, 45 acres, 32 acres.

Name Benjn Powell Home in 1820 Waynesboro, Burke, Georgia Enumeration Date August 7, 1820 Free White Persons - Males - 10 thru 15 =1 Free White Persons - Males - 45 and over =1 Free White Persons - Females - 45 and over =1 Slaves - Males - Under 14 =1 Slaves - Females - Under 14 =1 Slaves - Females - 14 thru 25 =1 Slaves - Females - 45 and over =1 Number of Persons - Engaged in Agriculture =1 Free White Persons - Under 16 =1 Free White Persons - Over 25 =2 Total Free White Persons =3 Total Slaves =4 Total All Persons - White, Slaves, Colored, Other =7
The dates coincide with George Cader Powell birth on December 13 1809 in Burke Co. GA he would be the Free White Males - 10 thru 15 =1...

The next census is 1830 Crawford Co. GA. I am sure Benjamin is the older free white male age 70 - 79 living with his son George C. Powell. Also the free white female listed to be age 50 - 59 most likely is Elizabeth sister to George. Elizabeth could be from a earlier marriage for Benjamin to ...??? And George being a late in life child his mother is ...???

Welcome to the forum! We are proud to say that Betty Ownsbey, author of the seminal book on Lewis Powell, is a member also. I suspect that the two of you can share a lot of information.'

When her book first came out, a number of us went with her on a speaking engagement in Ft. Myers, Florida, and then traveled to the Tampa area to meet Powell descendants that Betty had become friends with. Lovely people -- and they took us to a great restaurant where I had my first taste of fried alligator tail. It was delicious!
09-23-2018, 11:43 AM
(09-18-2018 07:21 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 05:05 PM)TNPowell Wrote:  Hello, I would like to introduce myself I am T. Powell and my line is from the George Cader Powell. I have been able to confirm Benjamin Powell is his father and apparently the Elizabeth that shows up in the church records is George Cader Powell's sister. Benjamin Powell's Will says " to beloved son, George C. Powell" also "After the death of his sister, Elizabeth Powell". In GCP family bible list Benjamin death October 17 1836.

Welcome to the forum! We are proud to say that Betty Ownsbey, author of the seminal book on Lewis Powell, is a member also. I suspect that the two of you can share a lot of information.'

When her book first came out, a number of us went with her on a speaking engagement in Ft. Myers, Florida, and then traveled to the Tampa area to meet Powell descendants that Betty had become friends with. Lovely people -- and they took us to a great restaurant where I had my first taste of fried alligator tail. It was delicious!

Thank you for the welcome... Was one the Powell's you met by chance named Sharon...? I grew up in Miami FL. with a big clan of Powell,s they had a camp in the wilds of the Everglades... yep gator tail is delicious!

And yes I have read Betty's book and would love to share information with Betty... There is a definite trail for George Cader Powell's father that needs following up.
And thanks again for the welcome.
09-23-2018, 12:03 PM
(09-23-2018 11:43 AM)TNPowell Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 07:21 PM)L Verge Wrote:  

Thank you for the welcome... Was one the Powell's you met by chance named Sharon...? I grew up in Miami FL. with a big clan of Powell,s they had a camp in the wilds of the Everglades... yep gator tail is delicious!

And yes I have read Betty's book and would love to share information with Betty... There is a definite trail for George Cader Powell's father that needs following up.
And thanks again for the welcome.

I have asked Betty to make contact with you via this thread or to PM you. I hope she will be in touch very soon. She will remember the names of the folks I met, but I sure can't.