Sad News - Passing of William Hanchett
07-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Sad News - Passing of William Hanchett
I just received a call from Tom Hanchett, son of author William Hanchett, letting us know that Bill has passed away. More information when I learn more. I was getting ready to go into a conference call when Tom's call came through, so there was little time for details.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2016, 02:36 PM
RE: Sad News - Passing of William Hanchett
I am sad to hear this, Laurie. When I think of Dr. Hanchett, I think Lincoln Murder Conspiracies. But he also wrote a wonderful, very brief, Lincoln biography called Out of the Wilderness which I have often recommended to students.
07-28-2016, 03:43 PM
A wonderful historian (amenable to considering both sides of an issue), a good friend to those of us in the field, and an all-around gentleman of the old school. Until his health deteriorated, he used to call just to say hi.
07-29-2016, 07:51 AM
I'm so very, very sorry to hear this! Bill was a wonderful guy, a great historian and a grand researcher - he will be very much missed....seems more of our old cadre are going every year -

Bill Hanchett and Me - Surratt House 1983

Seated - Jendi Verge, James O Hall; Standing - Bill Hanchett, John C Brennan
Surratt House Kitchen Dedication 1983

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-29-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of this. I didn't know Dr. Hanchett personally, but I did meet him once. I cam away with a signed copy of "The Lincoln Murder Conspiracies," the first book that piqued my interest in the Lincoln Assassination. I'll never forget that book for how it thoroughly demolishes the Eisenschiml thesis.
07-29-2016, 05:21 PM
I spoke with Bill's son today. His father passed away on July 22 from septic pneumonia and a general failing of the vital organs. He was 94.

They are now in the process of deciding where to start in dealing with Bill's many papers and research files. Since he retired as professor emeritus in history from San Diego State University after thirty years of teaching there, we agreed that the university should be contacted about establishing a Hanchett Collection as part of its library system.

If I learn more, I'll pass it on.
07-29-2016, 07:15 PM
I agree, Laurie -

The University should establish a collection of Hanchett's research....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-29-2016, 09:12 PM
I have only read Lincoln Murder Conspiracies. I am sorry Laurie and Betty for the loss of your friend and colleague and for those on this forum who knew him personally. Betty, those were great pictures. I hope those fond memories help in this moment of sadness.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
07-30-2016, 09:24 AM
I loved those pictures also, Betty. The first one reminded me of how far Surratt House has come. Betty and Bill are in an upstairs room at the historic house. Today, it is furnished as the travelers' bedroom as it would have been in the Surratt period when gentlemen travelers could sleep there for 25 cents a night (sometimes three to a bed). In this photo, however, the room shows the original library of the museum -- one room of about 12x12 - filled with stuff. Today, we have an entire building in the complex devoted to our James O. Hall Research Center.

The second photo was great for me because it showed my ten-year-old daughter seated with three of the finest men I ever knew -- both intellectually and personality-wise. And, they were kind enough to include her in conversations, etc. My ten-year-old is now a lovely 43-year-old mother and educator.

Bill Hanchett did not travel much in his later years, so he never met my now-16 grandson, and Mr. Brennan passed on before Aaron was born. However, Mr. Hall did have several visits with Aaron, sent him a "trinket box" - because all little boys need something to hide their treasures in - and spent more time playing with Aaron and Cate (daughter of Richard Willing) who were four-year-olds when some of us threw Mr. Hall a birthday party in June of 2004, than he did with the grown-ups.

Great memories of great people. I'm not sure that some of the younger scholars in history realize that kindness is a major ingredient of getting youths interested in our field. You have to talk with them - not at them.
07-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Your last sentence is a pearl of wisdom for all of us - thanks

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Just now saw this thread. So sorry to hear.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user