Permission slip
07-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Permission slip
I was suppose to post this yesterday, but I got involved with a construction project in the back yard - digging a hole. Gene asked me to let you know he will be away from the forum for a few days visiting his family. I offered to go with him, but he didn't want to have to wait in a locked car with the windows rolled up most of the way while I attended to business.
(Stretch my legs, sniff around, mark the territory, you know the usual things tourist do)
Go figure.

I'd say more, but it's nap time.

Fido

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2016, 04:54 AM
RE: Permission slip
Have a good time with your family, Gene. Fido, you always seem to get left behind.
07-21-2016, 08:48 AM
Fido, enjoy ultimate liberties with your master gone. And for some family members family visits can be most stressful:

"Mrs. Helm tells an amusing incident in connection with this visit. Mrs. Todd’s nephew, Joseph Humphreys, had traveled on the same train with the Lincolns without knowing who they were. Being alone, with no impedimenta, he quickly covered the ground between the railway station and the Todd home. ‘Aunt Betsy,’ he exclaimed, ‘I was never so glad to get off a train in my life. There were two lively youngsters on board who kept the whole train in a turmoil, and their long-legged father, instead of spanking the brats, looked pleased as Punch and aided and abetted the older one in mischief.’ Glancing out of the window at that moment he saw the ‘long-legged’ man and the two ‘lively youngsters’ in the Todd carriage, which had just stopped before the door. ‘Good Lord,’ he said in a panic, ‘there they are now.’ He promptly vanished and was not seen again during Mary’s visit.”
http://www.abrahamlincolnsclassroom.org/...-kentucky/
07-23-2016, 06:58 PM
I wonder if a photo of Joseph Humphreys exists? I tried to find but drew a blank.

As for leaving beloved pets behind - I had never understood how the Lincolns could do this and separate from Fido until facing the same situation with a cardiac kitty that quite likely wouldn't survive the stress of an over thousand kilometers journey. A heartbreaking decision.
07-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Fido, did Gene say anything about not throwing a wild college party? If not, CONGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
07-24-2016, 05:36 AM
Eva, that is indeed a heartbreaking decision. Vicki and I have had cats our entire marriage, and most of our cats have been stressed by trips much shorter than what you mentioned. We lost a cat to cardiac issues in 2015, and we didn't travel at all with him (other than to and from the vet). My best advice, based on our experiences, is to try and find a caretaker for your cat. Personally, I would not risk taking a cat that far when he or she has heart disease.
07-24-2016, 06:19 AM
I desperately need the "beam me up [or "over"], Scotty" means of transportation finally invented...