Hair To Be Auctioned
06-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Hair To Be Auctioned
---A chance to obtain the hair of Abraham Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth, Mary Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Gideon Welles, etc.---

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...sin-s.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2016, 03:06 PM
RE: Hair To Be Auctioned
Sounds like this is the lock of JWB's hair that was cut by Sgt Petticord.
06-22-2016, 08:10 PM
(06-22-2016 03:06 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  Sounds like this is the lock of JWB's hair that was cut by Sgt Petticord.

How do we know it's the lock of hair?

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
06-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Dr. John Sotos ought to be very interested in that. Is he a member here?

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2016, 05:10 AM
(06-22-2016 08:14 PM)ELCore Wrote:  Dr. John Sotos ought to be very interested in that. Is he a member here?

Lane, several years ago I asked him if he were interested. He said he would join, but he never did. I once read that cut hair is not really good for DNA testing, but I don't recall the details. Maybe my memory is faulty. If true, however, this may explain why Dr. Sotos' search has been for blood samples and not hair.
06-23-2016, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2016 11:57 AM by Anita.)
(06-23-2016 05:10 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(06-22-2016 08:14 PM)ELCore Wrote:  Dr. John Sotos ought to be very interested in that. Is he a member here?

Lane, several years ago I asked him if he were interested. He said he would join, but he never did. I once read that cut hair is not really good for DNA testing, but I don't recall the details. Maybe my memory is faulty. If true, however, this may explain why Dr. Sotos' search has been for blood samples and not hair.
Roger, the root of the hair sample must be present to test for nuclear DNA but cut hair can be tested for mitochondrial DNA.

"Can you test hair without the root? Yes. Instead of using nuclear DNA testing, we would use mitochondrial DNA testing. The mitochondrial genome is highly polymorphic or varies greatly from one person to another, making it useful for human identification. Because mitochondrial genes exist in high amounts within a cell they are very useful when analyzing samples that lack nuclear DNA." http://www.forensicdnacenter.com/resourc...tions.html
06-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks, Anita!! Can mitochondrial DNA testing be used to determine if a person had multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B?
06-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Yes, but there are some side effects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpSaTrW4leg

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Thanks, everybody.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user