Date Unknown?
06-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Date Unknown?
We are all quite familiar with the story of how Edwin Booth saved Robert Lincoln's life. However, one thing missing from the story is the exact date, month or even year this event occurred. I have concluded that it happened sometime in 1864, but am just curious, does anyone know of a more specific time frame; such as what month or date?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2016, 08:59 PM
RE: Date Unknown?
According to several sources, the incident happened in late 1864 to early 1865.....

http://www.historynet.com/edwin-booth

[/quote]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-20-2016, 05:20 AM
I can add another possible year to what Betty said - 1863.

In a letter from Robert Lincoln to his aunt, Emilie Todd Helm, it says:

"In 1863 or 1864 I started from New York to Washington taking at Jersey City a midnight train. Standing in the station having a sleeping car, the stone platform was level with the car platform on which stood a conductor selling berth tickets to a line of passengers who stood leaning against the side of the car. The line made quite a little crowd of which I was one. Suddenly the train began to move and by the motion and the crowding of my neighbors I was screwed off my feet, which dropped into the slot between the car and the platform - not very far but the situation was very dangerous. A man seized my collar and jerked me with great vigor out of the slot and onto my feet, on the platform. Moving to thank him I easily recognized Edwin Booth, having seen him on the stage. I think that he later learned my name from a friend of his who was a fellow staff officer of mine, to whom I related the incident at City Point, in 1865."

Source: p. 251-252 of Mary, Wife of Lincoln by Katherine Helm.

However, Eleanor Ruggles, in Prince of Players, leans toward 1865. This is on p. 171. Ruggles used Adam Badeau as her source, and Badeau was using the year as told to him by Robert Lincoln at City Point.

Also, please see Eva's post #8 about this incident here.
06-22-2016, 07:33 AM
Thank you all for the excellent information! It seems as though Robert Lincoln told Adam Badeau about the event in 1865, and, as Eva mentioned in her post, two weeks later Badeau informed Edwin Booth that it was Lincoln whose life he had saved. It appears that the actual event occurred in either 1863 or 1864.