Booth Escape Tour
05-01-2016, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 10:40 AM by PaigeBooth.)
Booth Escape Tour
We all had such a great time on the Booth Escape Tour yesterday. It was truly a wonderful day, and I really enjoyed spending so much time talking with Michael Kauffman. We shared a great deal of information together. He is such an incredible historian and shared so much with me. A true delight!

Here is a picture of us during the tour:

Here is another picture. We had a great time talking outside the museum.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2016, 10:45 AM
RE: Booth Escape Tour
That's neat, Paige. Mike Kauffman has helped me several times over the years. I remember back in 2006 I was looking for the text of the "Clara letter" to Weichmann, and Mike was kind enough to send it to me. He is a wonderful historian.
05-01-2016, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 11:09 AM by PaigeBooth.)
Also, here is a picture of myself, my Grandmother and Cookie Davis, President of Historic Port Royal.

And here is a picture of my Mom, Grandmother and I at Belle Grove Plantation; this was another one of the stops during the tour.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Is the Marker where the Garrett's lived in place?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2016, 11:47 AM
(05-01-2016 11:26 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Is the Marker where the Garrett's lived in place?

Hi Bill,

Yes, the marker is in place, we drove past it yesterday during the tour. The property, however, is still prohibited. In fact, they have chains around the property now.
05-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Thank you for the update. Interesting that the area is chained off.

Bill Nash
05-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Last year, Historic Port Royal held a dedication ceremony for the new road marker on the 150th anniversary of Booth's death.

Since the area belongs to Fort A.P. Hill, the chain is there to stop trespassers. You can still pull a car into the median (and pretend you never saw the "No Trespassing" signs) Wink The barriers only make it impossible for large vehicles (like buses) to stop.

(05-01-2016 12:05 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Thank you for the update. Interesting that the area is chained off.
05-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Yes, that would be something I would do! And probably many Forum members too!

Bill Nash
05-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Paige, it appears ya'll had a wonderful time! Besides being a dear old friend, Mike is a wonderful person and I feel, the leading assassination historian. He has learned a lot over the years and is a wonderful teacher. Belle Grove is such a beautiful place - it's a delight that it has become a Bed and Breakfast - they have some wonderful tours!

Thanks for the beautiful photos!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-01-2016, 04:44 PM
(05-01-2016 02:23 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Paige, it appears ya'll had a wonderful time! Besides being a dear old friend, Mike is a wonderful person and I feel, the leading assassination historian. He has learned a lot over the years and is a wonderful teacher. Belle Grove is such a beautiful place - it's a delight that it has become a Bed and Breakfast - they have some wonderful tours!

Thanks for the beautiful photos!

Traveling home today, Betty. My Mom, Grandmother and I are riding in the car now. I read your post aloud. Mom and Grandma "Keke" asked me to say "hello" and said they are thinking of you fondly. Heart
05-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Ya'll have a safe trip! It's been dreary and rainy here all day - did you and your family stay at Belle Grove?

Port Royal is only about 35-40 minutes from my house....I'd love to go there for Halloween when they have all sorts of fun-filled spooky things to do. May do so this fall.... I think they have a murder mystery play -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-01-2016, 05:07 PM
(05-01-2016 04:53 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Ya'll have a safe trip! It's been dreary and rainy here all day - did you and your family stay at Belle Grove?

Port Royal is only about 35-40 minutes from my house....I'd love to go there for Halloween when they have all sorts of fun-filled spooky things to do. May do so this fall.... I think they have a murder mystery play -

Betty-- we didn't stay at Belle Grove this time, but after seeing it, we would really like to. It's such a beautiful place!
05-01-2016, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 05:16 PM by Thomas Kearney.)
(05-01-2016 11:06 AM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  Also, here is a picture of myself, my Grandmother and Cookie Davis, President of Historic Port Royal.

And here is a picture of my Mom, Grandmother and I at Belle Grove Plantation; this was another one of the stops during the tour.

I was really tempted to photobomb y'all!

Some of us were live tweeting the tour. Check out my twitter page.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
05-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Dave and I stayed at Belle Grove for New Years and attended their murder mystery party. It was a great experience. The owners are wonderful and they host tons of fun events throughout the year like Titanic tea and "Clue" nights. May 14th and 15th will be their Civil War weekend.
05-01-2016, 05:36 PM
(05-01-2016 05:21 PM)KateH. Wrote:  Dave and I stayed at Belle Grove for New Years and attended their murder mystery party. It was a great experience. The owners are wonderful and they host tons of fun events throughout the year like Titanic tea and "Clue" nights. May 14th and 15th will be their Civil War weekend.

Hi Kate,

Dave mentioned to us that you had stayed at Belle Grove. We are going to plan a visit there and stay a few nights. Which room would you recommend is the best?