Tubman to replace Jackson on Twenty Dollar Note
04-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Tubman to replace Jackson on Twenty Dollar Note
The media is reporting on this today. A new twenty dollar bill to be designed to replace the Andrew Jackson one we currently have. The new one to feature Harriet Tubman. Your thoughts?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2016, 03:56 PM
RE: Tubman to replace Jackson on Twenty Dollar Note
Very excited! Might I remind everyone she is a Marylander like myself? Represent the Bay State!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
Find all posts by this user
04-20-2016, 04:34 PM
I was hoping for Lassie

- Fido

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Fido: well, there was a "buffalo nickel"- so I see your point!

Bill Nash
04-20-2016, 06:30 PM
The government is going to change the Lincoln five dollar bill, also. Change is not always good. If the government wants to make a change, the government should go back to the old Lincoln five dollar bill. I still save a few of these.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
04-20-2016, 08:10 PM
(04-20-2016 03:56 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Very excited! Might I remind everyone she is a Marylander like myself? Represent the Bay State!

Except that we are The Old Line State, not the Bay State...
04-20-2016, 08:14 PM
Whoops! Got my state nicknames mixed up!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
04-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Does anybody here know, for sure, whether Tubman was a Republican or leaned Republican or supported Republicans? All things considered, I think that's far more likely than Democrat, but I'm wondering if there's any documentation or testimony.

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
04-21-2016, 04:51 AM
(04-20-2016 09:23 PM)ELCore Wrote:  Does anybody here know, for sure, whether Tubman was a Republican or leaned Republican or supported Republicans? All things considered, I think that's far more likely than Democrat, but I'm wondering if there's any documentation or testimony.

Lane, I shall write Kate Larson about this.
04-21-2016, 07:01 AM
The plan is to have some sort of Jackson image on the back of the note. Maybe this will be done as a gesture to those opposing his removal from the front-side.
Sidebar: Lincoln was made Postmaster at New Salem during the administration of Lincoln, if I remember correctly. Also, I seem to recall that Lincoln was not a fan of Jackson. And coincidently, both Jackson and Lincoln had assassination attempts made against them- Lincoln's having succeeeded, of course.

Bill Nash
04-21-2016, 09:54 AM
(04-21-2016 04:51 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Lane, I shall write Kate Larson about this.

Thanks.
04-21-2016, 12:37 PM
I was happy to read yesterday about Harriett Tubman being picked for the $20.00. I was hoping it would be her!

(04-20-2016 06:30 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  The government is going to change the Lincoln five dollar bill, also. Change is not always good. If the government wants to make a change, the government should go back to the old Lincoln five dollar bill. I still save a few of these.

David, have they said how they're going to change it? Change as in replacing Lincoln? Or just a re-design but keeping him on there?
04-21-2016, 12:47 PM
(04-21-2016 12:37 PM)Miss_Bellatrix Wrote:  I was happy to read yesterday about Harriett Tubman being picked for the $20.00. I was hoping it would be her!

(04-20-2016 06:30 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  The government is going to change the Lincoln five dollar bill, also. Change is not always good. If the government wants to make a change, the government should go back to the old Lincoln five dollar bill. I still save a few of these.

David, have they said how they're going to change it? Change as in replacing Lincoln? Or just a re-design but keeping him on there?

According to this article, Lincoln will stay on front, with changes to the back. "The back of the new $5 bill, which features Abraham Lincoln on the front, will honor the civil rights movement with depictions of Martin Luther King Jr., Eleanor Roosevelt and black opera singer Marian Anderson, who famously sang on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1939."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...n-20-bill/
04-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks for posting this article, Susan!
04-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Why Jackson had been chosen at all regarding he has often been "voted" "Worst President"?